• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

A new series: And I

George Holroyd

I have started a new series on my web site and would like to share an image with you here and invite you all to browse the rest of the images on my site, http://www.georgeholroyd.com/and_i.html (Warning: NSFW). All comments are welcomed.

no-10.jpg

A brief statement on the series.

"We pass through the present blindfolded. We are permitted merely to sense and guess at what we are actually experiencing. Only later when the cloth is lifted, can we glance at the past and find out what we have experienced and what meaning it has." - Milan Kundera

Several years ago, I was diagnosed with Essential Tremor, a progressive neurological disorder which can cause debilitating tremors and loss of coordination, when the symptoms that I have had since adolescence eventually worsened to the point that I began experiencing difficulty in performing simple everyday tasks.

The series, "And I" is a diary; a collection of glances which illustrate a reality distorted by frustration, embarrassment, and a growing sense of social isolation. It serves as a visualization of the impact that Essential Tremor has on me and my closest relationships as I continue to come to terms with the new realities that I am presented with.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I have started a new series on my web site and would like to share an image with you here and invite you all to browse the rest of the images on my site, http://www.georgeholroyd.com/and_i.html (Warning: NSFW). All comments are welcomed.

I visited and it's a vista worth making!

no-10.jpg

A brief statement on the series.

"We pass through the present blindfolded. We are permitted merely to sense and guess at what we are actually experiencing. Only later when the cloth is lifted, can we glance at the past and find out what we have experienced and what meaning it has." - Milan Kundera

Several years ago, I was diagnosed with Essential Tremor, a progressive neurological disorder which can cause debilitating tremors and loss of coordination, when the symptoms that I have had since adolescence eventually worsened to the point that I began experiencing difficulty in performing simple everyday tasks.

The series, "And I" is a diary; a collection of glances which illustrate a reality distorted by frustration, embarrassment, and a growing sense of social isolation. It serves as a visualization of the impact that Essential Tremor has on me and my closest relationships as I continue to come to terms with the new realities that I am presented with.

Hi George,

I'm glad you are sharing your progress in your recent series "and I" as it reflects on the state of all things which have life cycles and inherent beauty and imperfections. Show them all here, one or several at a time, and we can comment on each one and have a communal experience which is mutually reinforcing.

Asher

George Holroyd

Asher,

Thank you. The series, though small at this point, spans the period from 2010 to present. It can be thought of as having three phases that revolve around my attending the Carnem workshop in November of last year. It was at Carnem that I decided to incorporate my tremor into my artwork. I also decided to bring it out, form a series, and discuss it directly.

Michael Nagel

George,

Thanks for showing. The series itself is impressive, putting it in context with what you have to cope with reveals its darker side.

My best wishes for you and keep up with you good work.

Best regards,
Michael

Jarmo Juntunen

George, I certainly feel great respect for you. It's a brave thing to share something this personal with strangers. Besides, you show us some great photography in the series, as well. All the best to you and your wife.

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Bonsoir George
une série magnifique, avec beaucoup d'émotion…
J'aime beaucoup également "33 Meters Squared".
I'm just wondering if colors could add even more emotional motion (pun intended)?In fact I'm pretty sure that it would/could…

George Holroyd

I'm just wondering if colors could add even more emotional motion (pun intended)?In fact I'm pretty sure that it would/could…

I don't think I could make the switch to color without starting over and that would doubtlessly lead me in a different direction with the series. That said, I am not opposed to doing some color work but not yet. Maybe at some point in the future, but for now, I'm not ready for it.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I don't think I could make the switch to color without starting over and that would doubtlessly lead me in a different direction with the series. That said, I am not opposed to doing some color work but not yet. Maybe at some point in the future, but for now, I'm not ready for it.

George,

It's interesting that you's say that your "not ready" for color, as it's how I felt for a long time after trying to process color in the darkroom. Now however, one has choices. Some of your subjects are only made alive with color.

Color adds the final touch of individuality and an overlay of meanings that cannot be discovered in a B&W rendering. Nature invests in color as this 300 million evolved creation does here!

B&W is remarkable as it removes this veil of distinctions and looks underneath these emotive garments to examine and experience the anatomy and then imagine the inner meanings of things, like peeking under a girls dress, so to speak. That's what your current work does very well.

Asher

George Holroyd

George,

It's interesting that you's say that your "not ready" for color, as it's how I felt for a long time after trying to process color in the darkroom. Now however, one has choices. Some of your subjects are only made alive with color.

Color adds the final touch of individuality and an overlay of meanings that cannot be discovered in a B&W rendering. Nature invests in color as this 300 million evolved creation does here!

B&W is remarkable as it removes this veil of distinctions and looks underneath these emotive garments to examine and experience the anatomy and then imagine the inner meanings of things, like peeking under a girls dress, so to speak. That's what your current work does very well.

Asher

Thank you, Asher. Color would add more complexity than I'm willing to deal with at the moment.

It's interesting that a suggestion to introduce color was made. I began the series and took each photo with black and white in mind, but I suppose it is both a benefit and a curse of digital photography that people have the option to toggle back and forth after the fact. Despite that convenience, I believe the decision has to made before the picture is taken. That's the case for me, at least.