• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Sequence I, II

Shawn Kearney

This is the start of a series I am half-heartedly working on, not a diptych. The series deals with subtle repetition of minimal form and line found in natural materials.

6509566429_de7262bb1c_b.jpg

Shawn Kearney:Sequence I

8362294845_50e9f64151_b.jpg

Shawn Kearney:Sequence II

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
This is the start of a series I am half-heartedly working on, not a diptych. The series deals with subtle repetition of minimal form and line found in natural materials.

6509566429_de7262bb1c_b.jpg

Shawn Kearney:Sequence I

8362294845_50e9f64151_b.jpg

Shawn Kearney:Sequence II

Shawn,

Why be half-hearted on this? What's holding you back. It's a great concept. Where's your dilemma? It it that you worry about finding more for a reasonably sized series with some commonality?

I find this interesting and would like to see you commit to it fully. It's hard when the creator is not enthusiastic about his offspring!

Asher

Shawn Kearney

maybe I miswrote when I said half-hearted, it's not so much that I don't value the project, but it's just something that cannot be pushed, how do you "go all into" subtle minimalism? It's kind of a meditative thing.

I wasn't even really planning on a series until I spotted Sequence II. Sequence I I liked a lot, but it didn't really fit into any theme until I found Sequence II. But i think for this to work, these sorts of images need to be found, not pushed, you know? Part of their appeal is that they are not contrived and overt.

Asher Kelman

May I then suggest some sources for you to explore. I'd consider fossilized tree trunks, polished or not. I could photograph one for you, uncreatively, just as a scientific documentation and then you can edit as you wish.

One could look at an old bridge or house with concrete where that has been water problems and efflorescence of the minerals over the exterior of the concrete.

You might look up public domain images of earthquake faults or geological strata showing different eons and layers of different colors of rocks, river sediment, ash from fires/meteorites and the like.

Once you process the images your way, they will be subject to your way of seeing things and become brothers and sisters too1

Asher

Sam Hames

maybe I miswrote when I said half-hearted, it's not so much that I don't value the project, but it's just something that cannot be pushed, how do you "go all into" subtle minimalism? It's kind of a meditative thing.

I wasn't even really planning on a series until I spotted Sequence II. Sequence I I liked a lot, but it didn't really fit into any theme until I found Sequence II. But i think for this to work, these sorts of images need to be found, not pushed, you know? Part of their appeal is that they are not contrived and overt.

I like your attitude here, the quiet kind of waiting shows in the photos. Looking forward to more, on their own time :)

Sam

Asher Kelman

I like your attitude here, the quiet kind of waiting shows in the photos. Looking forward to more, on their own time :)

Sam

If one just waits for the opportunity to arise by happenstance, then one had better not leave home without a camera! Chance favors the prepared!

I do both, as chance has always been good to me. Still, if I want to photograph lions, I don't wait at home. I go to the zoo or take a plane to South Africa! This applies to everything we seek. go to where it lives!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Sam

If one just waits for the opportunity to arise by happenstance, then one had better not leave home without a camera! Chance favors the prepared!

I do both, as chance has always been good to me. Still, if I want to photograph lions, I don't wait at home. I go to the zoo or take a plane to South Africa! This applies to everything we seek. Go to where it can be found!

Asher