• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My World: Common area

George Holroyd

For much of the past week, Sarah and I have been greeted by clothes drying in the open courtyard windows of our apartment building. I've taken the opportunity to photograph this scene a few times now but have yet to capture the mood properly. Last Friday as we headed out for breakfast, I found this shirt swaying in the breeze just outside our door.

tumblr_n67yczLpHK1toxq7no1_500.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I have watched this thread a while, hoping for additional shots so the clothes might represent the various residents of this community, sharing a common space, but allowing others a glimpse of the private choices.

Asher

Asher Kelman

It seems the hanging of clothes out in the hallway is only practiced by one of the tenants.

Still, George, with perseverance, you'll still get an interesting and uniquely intimate series. Eventually you might then get invited in and find out more about an otherwise private life. It could be a novel way of learning about another limited private world as the one you photographed in Paris!

Just a thought.

Asher

George Holroyd

Still, George, with perseverance, you'll still get an interesting and uniquely intimate series. Eventually you might then get invited in and find out more about an otherwise private life. It could be a novel way of learning about another limited private world as the one you photographed in Paris!

Just a thought.

Asher

We've said goodbye to the 13th and moved into our new place already, I'm afraid. Here's one from the landing in the former building, though.

tumblr_n6jthzOrvx1toxq7no1_500.jpg

Asher Kelman

We've said goodbye to the 13th and moved into our new place already, I'm afraid. Here's one from the landing in the former building, though.

George,

I have taken the risk that you might allow me reposting both of your two balcony pictures together as an experiment:

tumblr_n6jthzOrvx1toxq7no1_500.jpg
tumblr_n67yczLpHK1toxq7no1_500.jpg

I was wondering whether or not the two might fit together? Although I'm intrigued by the seemingly good "fit", I really can't say it's as it should be, as I'm not you and it's your world, not mine. Still they do seem related and I'd like to learn a little more about what you find "works".

Even though I could look at your own pairings, there's the question of whether or not you'd choose this as a pair and which one, (if paired at all), would be on the left or right and should there be white space between them, if pairing is fitting for you?

Notwithstanding all my questioning, to my mind, they do fit together just for me and I like the result, even though it's a trespass, it's meant to be "in homage". Hope I can be forgiven!

Asher

George Holroyd

No, I don't mind at all. Although, not the pairing I'd choose. Here is a screen shot from Lightroom of keeper photos that I've taken over the last eight months in Hungary with the alcove image highlighted. I don't think either will make the cut.

tumblr_n6lr70l4Ic1toxq7no1_1280.png

Shortly before we left, the owner of the flat informed us that the building had once been used as a brothel. Given that nugget, I'd probably choose something like the following pairing, combining an older image from Paris and this newer one from Budapest. While I do like the story being told, I'm still not sure.

tumblr_n6lrsa5IJY1toxq7no1_1280.jpg

Asher Kelman

No, I don't mind at all. Although, not the pairing I'd choose. Here is a screen shot from Lightroom of keeper photos that I've taken over the last eight months in Hungary with the alcove image highlighted. I don't think either will make the cut.

Shortly before we left, the owner of the flat informed us that the building had once been used as a brothel. Given that nugget, I'd probably choose something like the following pairing, combining an older image from Paris and this newer one from Budapest. While I do like the story being told, I'm still not sure.

tumblr_n6lrsa5IJY1toxq7no1_1280.jpg

George,

You're a great sport. Thanks for tolerating my impetuousness! Yes, I do see a much more dynamic association both with the curves in the pair belonging together as a continuum of energy and movement and the extreme but fitting contrast of the human living form and the rectilinear door that passively allows humans in......or not!

The added disclosure of the history of a brothel there buttresses the union, but the distance of Paris to Budapest separates the woman from that fate!

It does become from so many standpoints an engaging diptych worth revisiting.

Thanks for sharing your tentative choice. I enjoy and appreciate your way of associating disparate images to build a dynamic world where the viewer is challenged to enter and provide lines of commonality and contrasts and myriads of interwoven stories, just from your own choices of which of all your images to pair together!

Asher

Asher Kelman

George,

Showing all these pictures on a wall with embedded in black space, is also an option as it allows a free ranging exploration of your ideas and motifs. I've seen this approach in exhibitions and it does force people to engage and they spend time even bending down to study the lowest positioned images!

Asher