• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Protected Threads for Public Reference for Our Photographic Work.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
UPDATED We need to allow serious work product to be discussed with the understanding that every word will be read by the gallery and clients considering, purchasing or selling our photographs.

I had intended to repurpose two existing sections, "Still Photo" and "Photography as Art" to require administrator approval for all posts. Instead we have a single curated and protected section, "GALLERY ONE"

Your feedback is welcome. :)

Asher

Hi Asher,

Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean by Still Photo? - Still photography? And photography as art? - Please I'm sure in your head it all makes sense, but I would really like it if you could explain more what exactly you mean by photography as art also. I take photos that I hope are artistic, and I do take anything I do seriously but I think you may only mean photography such as George Holroyd does and not the stuff that I do.

I'm sorry if I seem so naive and clueless, but would just like some clarification of what exactly you mean by both and where you want us to put things.

Asher Kelman

Hi Asher,

Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean by Still Photo? - Still photography? And photography as art? - Please I'm sure in your head it all makes sense, but I would really like it if you could explain more what exactly you mean by photography as art also. I take photos that I hope are artistic, and I do take anything I do seriously but I think you may only mean photography such as George Holroyd does and not the stuff that I do.

I'm sorry if I seem so naive and clueless, but would just like some clarification of what exactly you mean by both and where you want us to put things.

Maggie,

There's considerable overlap as both are artistic and both are photographic! Photography as Art is just meant to give more surpasses and jolt to that we take for granted and usually expect in things.

The Section, "Still Photo" is more for classic photography of the kind that you will find in in any of the vintage collections and work done with large format cameras, dedicated B&W photography giving a similar impression and all "standard portraits, landscapes, architectural and other photographer.

Yes George Holroyd's work would fit into both, but more so into Photography as Art forum as he pushes boundaries and he seems to have a particularly separate self-authoredand original voice he has made and is further developing.

One could post in either place, but the more strange it is from straightforward photographic work, the more liberties taken, then the more it would fit in with photography as art. I'd hope that my own work would be justified in being in either section. Your own work fits in either but especially the former.

Asher

Asher Kelman

Maggie,

I have added simple descriptions to delineate the new function of the pro-level prepublication and gallery exhibition threads. The first, "Still Photo" has images expressed as in the major body of classical photography. While this description is not scientifically objective, the alternate, "Photography As Art" is for those pictures, where surreal, boundary-challenging or otherwise unsettling or inventive originality provides an outlet for expression that might be beyond the expectation or comfort zone of many photographers. This kind of work might be inspired by others, but the work shows that the photographer is providing his or her unusually unique voice.

So both are professional locations expected to be well imagined and executed, but one follows in the footsteps of the greats more recognizably whereas the other tends to brashly try our novel or even awkward modes of expression.

However, in each case, we take the value of these works very responsibly, knowing that the photographer, by sharing has his/her reputation attached to what we publish. for that reason, not all submitted images will be accepted and no insult should be taken. Also comments must be approved as being fair and have merit in a curatorial sense.

The idea is to allow professional photographers to take risks in exposing their newest work here. This will, hopefully, allow stimulating discussion and encourage innovation.

Asher

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Dear Asher

I'm still not sure to understand, although I do understand the reasons…
Wouldn't it be more simple to keep things as they are and moderate more "strongly" and give infractions to those who cannot restrain their vocabulary ?
After all, personally, I'm not scared by comments even negative provided that explanation is given…

Now, within your new proposed system, where should this one go?

_NCL3029_1.jpg

From my last photo shoot for the starred chef Nicolas Maggie

EDIT
This not a coincidence if I post here this picture, this shoot came after comments about using ƒ16 on a previous food shoot.
I did read, the comments and explanations. Not convinced by the «*loss of quality*» I should get using ƒ16.
However, for the following food shoot (which the above shot comes from) I used ƒ14 most of the time : )

Asher Kelman

Now that's up to you, Nicolas! If I had been the proud father of this work, it would be in Photography as Art as I see little precedence in classical photography, LOL!

Yes, you can withstand comments and anyone who'd mock you would come out the worst for it. But you are established and have a strong international client base.

Unfortunately, for others, posted comments are already searchable on google. So they do need to be moderated.

Asher

Mea culpa - I used f11 earlier today on the A7r and still feel guilty!

Asher Kelman

Thanks for the discussion and the humor.

As indicated in my edited first post above, we won't repurpose, just have a single new location, GALLERY ONE, exclusively to showcase work output to be posted by photographers who have such a serious commitment to professional photography, their clients and supporting gallerists that

1. they have at least close-to-finished exhibition/ commercial-level work they offer for sale or by contract to clients or galleries

2. they wish to share this body of work for our shared experience.

Anyone here, however, is invited and encouraged to post comments, as they wish. But of course, each comment is monitored for curatorial value.

Asher

nicolas claris

.........I’ve been told that some pros are now being afraid to post their images in OPF, as some insulting comments may happen.

So, as a response, Asher created this new "showcase" forum, GALLERY ONE, moderated and thus protected, for our client and gallery-purposed creative work.

In a way I’m sad that such solution has to be raised, what humans are we? Don’t tell me ”just human”! In an open space such as OPF everyone should understand that using real names is the base, then that civility and polite behavior are the rules. One can say anything about my work, including negative comments as soon as:
• Politeness is used
• Arguments are used to explain the why(s) of such negative writing.
Otherwise post would have to be severely pruned!

This said, I would like invite all to use this new opportunity for our best "Client-provisioned work" provided by Asher, to post where clients can review our very special photographs.

Nicolas

nicolas claris

Now that's up to you, Nicolas! If I had been the proud father of this work, it would be in Photography as Art as I see little precedence in classical photography, LOL!

Yes, you can withstand comments and anyone who'd mock you would come out the worst for it. But you are established and have a strong international client base.

Unfortunately, for others, posted comments are already searchable on google. So they do need to be moderated.

Asher

Mea culpa - I used f11 earlier today on the A7r and still feel guilty!

Here they are…

Asher Kelman

Thanks for the excellent opening salvo!

Gallery One is not only a "curated and very Gallerist-friendly" but also should serve as a collection to inspire us all in this diverse community by sharing examples of work that is successful in the free market.

Asher