• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Gun Sights

Robert Watcher

When I arrived at this old fortress, there wasn't a soul around. That was great for leaving me with the freedom to take my time and capture lots of details shots. I eventually came across this round corner section containing windows in the outer wall that were used for defence to fire on an approaching enemy.

The small room was interesting to look at - - - but it appeared more interesting looking in from the hallway than it actually was when inside. I fired off a few shots of the round window openings, but not much else.

I left for a few minutes and came back to see a man standing in the room. I waited patiently with camera ready, to see if anything would develop. Meantime I noticed this wonderful highlight coming in from the doorway and hitting the wall. I anticipated the man moving into that area as he peeked into each window.

Finally he got to the right spot and I fired and got my perfectly balanced shot.

20090212-E3122924-Edit-Edit.jpg

After playing with various tonalities with the Black and White image - from high structure and contrasty to crisp highlights and deep shadows - - - my choice was to tone with a muted appearance that I have seen in some gallery photographs that have appealed to me.

--------------

A couple of the photos that I took when I first encountered the room. It was fascinating because of it's historical meaning, but not so interesting for its photographic potential. As can be seen the second shot, the simple lighting created shadows that I had to watch to keep out of frame.

20090212-E3122919.jpg

20090212-E3122923.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Finally he got to the right spot and I fired and got my perfectly balanced shot.

20090212-E3122924-Edit-Edit.jpg

Bob,

Yes, what you have caught is attention getting and the build of something unusual. I like it a lot, but I've had some discomfort, holding me back, making me think about and examine this picture much longer.

I have thought, at first, that my hesitance with the otherwise effective image is that, "the window on the left is not at all needed"! Without it, I first thought, the composition remaining, seemed, sufficient.

However, on trying to frame like this, the top and bottom margins, then become redundant too and I ruin your picture. Finally I have discovered what concerns me is not "that extra window on the left", but rather the distinctive lower edge of the dark shadow coming from the left below that window. It seems to invade the realm of the image and so distracts me.

This view, however, is ultimately unimportant! For art to work, only the artist has to be satisfied sufficiently. Still, I'd ask you to consider that shadow with its distinctive round element in your final judgement of the pictures finish and presentation.

Asher

Robert Watcher

Thanks for your thoughts and observation Asher.

FOR ME: The 3 windows are important as they are framed by the door highlight. In turn the whole element of the 3 windows, highlight and man, are perfectly positioned (for my taste) in the left 1/3 of the image frame. In other words Offset. In some ways the highlight area with dark boundary, reminds me of a movie projector screen. The windows themselves, can take on the character of movie projectors or even academy floodlights.

Yes there is a dark area intruding into the highlight at the bottom left. It was there and I can not go back and retake and have no interest in removing it in post. Those are imperfections and irregularities that I like to see and want to leave in my work in general. Even that it is unsettling, appeals to me. It is why I love Central American craftsmanship or folk art, with all of their irregularities and imperfections. My perfection is relative just like theirs is.

What all of those elements I have described in the frame mean - I have no idea - but everyone will take on their own meaning. One thing they will have no idea about, is what the building or wall or windows truly are. I but no deeper meaning behind my images. They are simply what visually appeals to my eye at the time of shooting and processing them.

-----