• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

'A Negative Survey' - A Photographic Project #1

Paul Abbott

This is an initial image for a small series of photographs recording and detailing dead bird life? on our roads.
My objective with my photographs is to try to bring to the fore and recognise the strange beauty in the death of these creatures. To help do that I will use the 'negative' effect, a kind of reversal in a way, and which in fact can reflect on the 'inside out' nature of what we sometimes see in roadkill, I feel. Also, it will represent a form of photographic fossilisation...
My aim is to solely photograph dead birds because they, I think; can offer up a more beautiful interpretation.
As usual, it will still be a slightly morbid challenge in finding the right subject that can fulfill this project...but I hope to do it justice.

Titles are subject to change...

roadrunner_dnegativefinal_X640.jpg

Untitled '14 #1 - Paul Abbott
RICOH GR

This is a fascinating concept, Paul. I looked at your image before reading the text, and my first thought was of Archaeopteryx, particularly the first specimen found in Germany. Very much looking forward to future images.

Paul Abbott

Well, thanks for that feedback, Tom. I am happy that my image evoked that reaction in you, it works with how I see this image as a 'fossilisation', so cheers...

This is very interesting. I like the negative effect as you say, it really makes me think of fossilization but the presence of the feathers assures us it is not. Amazing how I assume a orange bird has now become a rare bright blue one. Very strong message about man vs nature. I just hope you don't have to run down too many birds to complete your project! :-D (sorry about the joke, just couldn't help myself! :-D )

Antonio Correia

I joint those curious about the evolution of this project.

I hope to see more as time goes on.

Good idea ! :)

Note - be aware of the traffic ! Photograph safely !

Paul Abbott

Well, thanks for your comments and interest, everyone.
Antonio, you can be sure that i'll not be wearing my earphones at least, when shooting for this project. I really don't want to become a part of the essence of my project. Thanks for the regard...:)

Of course, I am also eager to find out how this little project will evolve.
I know that I could be on for a pigeon back in London, I had seen one totally flattened and spreadeagled (no pun intended, although an eagle would be remarkable), over in Broadgate. I did photograph it but then deleted it telling myself, under my breath 'what the hell was I doing...'I wish I had kept it now.
Thinking back, it's wing feathers were fanned out and so beautifully arranged, that's what attracted me to it...Anyway, at least a seed (no pun on birdseed of course), was planted in my mind back then, even though it was slightly dismissed.