• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

White Fence Revisited

Paul Strand's The White Fence made an acknowledged contribution to the history of photography by offering an alternative to the then dominant Pictorialist tradition. Strand commented on the image as follows: "Why did I photograph that white fence up in Port Kent, New York, in 1916? Because the fence itself was fascinating to me. It was very much alive, very American, very much a part of the country. . ."
John Szarkowski remarked that "The White Fence ... I think, has etched itself into the pictorial memory of every young photographer who ever saw it, except perhaps for the most insensitive." Aside from the latter, which says more about the critic than the photograph, few would disagree. Go here to see The White Fence.

The history of photography has been an enduring interest of mine. Although my knowledge is far from encyclopedic (as befits a hobbyist rather than a professional), what struck me was that paradigms established by earlier masters often become those adopted by succeeding generations of photographers, setting the standards by which the latter judge their own work and that of others. There's nothing wrong with that, although remember that The White Fence itself represented a conceptual and technical rebellion against an earlier tradition.

What Strand sought to convey was that the recording of transient everyday things, people and occurrences provided an appropriate subject matter for photography. A Paul Strand retrospective at the Philadelphia Museum of Art showed just how ephemeral were the targets he photographed. He would have liked that. Because Strand's ornate White Fence is no longer a substantial boundary marker around American properties, I hope he would not have objected too strongly to the following reinterpretation. The setting is Thunder Bay today but reaches back toward a traditional grain port industry that remains very much alive.

Cheers, Mike.

train_img_0510_small_by_rufusthered-d894jsw.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
It's a great topic for discussion, Michael. The Victoria and albert Museum has the copyright to the picture below, but we can share it for educational and editorial purposes under the the "Fair use doctrine".

41148-large.jpg

Asher

Asher Kelman

I hope he, [i.e. Paul Stand] would not have objected too strongly to the following reinterpretation. The setting is Thunder Bay today but reaches back toward a traditional grain port industry that remains very much alive.

Mike.

train_img_0510_small_by_rufusthered-d894jsw.jpg

This is an excellent homage and pointer to Strand's original.

41148-large.jpg

I like the symbolism of the "white picket fence" - very much American like "Gift of the people of the United States of America", "apple pie", 4th of July" and the right to use an assault rifle to shoot a homeless fly!

Asher

Mike.

I like the symbolism of the "white picket fence" - very much American like "Gift of the people of the United States of America", "apple pie", 4th of July" and the right to use an assault rifle to shoot a homeless fly!

Asher

You comment suggests you got the secondary symbolism in the homage photo. Most obviously, the fence no longer looks like a solid boundary to keep things in or out of the property (as it did when Strand was young). But also. the perspective suggests that a train riding the centre track would run right through the fence - exactly like using an assault rife to kill a homeless fly. :)

Cheers, Mike.

Asher Kelman

You comment suggests you got the secondary symbolism in the homage photo. Most obviously, the fence no longer looks like a solid boundary to keep things in or out of the property (as it did when Strand was young). But also. the perspective suggests that a train riding the centre track would run right through the fence - exactly like using an assault rife to kill a homeless fly. :)

Cheers, Mike.

...... and that's what an homage should do, use the fabric of the metaphoric original to extend the form and break through the constraints we're accustomed to. After all, that opens us to new ways of observing, considering and gaining additional tools to advance our culture and hopefully the human condition.

So your new work, "White Fence", has such impact for me! Thanks! ?

Asher