• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Passing Through a Picture

Mike,

At major retrospectives, curators will even include many pictures, mere "snaps" taken at the beach or in a supermarket window or at a family barbecue, that for sure where never intended as anything but personal mementos. Artists normally carefully hone their skills at presenting a coherent body of well-0executed creative expression. A lot of ideas, of necessity, therefore, fall to the wayside if they are not obviously strong enough to carry their own weight and survive as art in a competitive environment. Likely as not, we're deprived of a lot of new ideas ,at the edges of expectations, that are self-censored by the photographer's need for maintaining appearances.

The established artist, however, gets the freedom eventually to step out of a strict mode of assassinating one's offspring, (and actually shows of work they know that the unknown photographer could not be forgiven for). The work now only has to be a satisfactory export of creative ideas that satisfies the artist sense of worth, as it will be grabbed feverishly by avid supporters. It could be that some of us are are not sufficiently attuned to the coding and esthetics in the new work. After all, many photographs, do indeed, require some understanding to the homages and references to previous art that the circle of aficionado really understands and appreciates.

My role, when I meet such work, especially knowing the command and talent of the photographer, is to ask myself what of it do I understand and hold my judgement until I learn more. I'm hesitant to assume that because this picture seems to be what someone else would discard, that this photograph has lesser value than the obviously accomplished works of Opie that anyone can easily admire. Of course, always there is the nagging concern that the photographer could have become delusional.

Asher

Wise words by Asher on another thread that I took to heart. A few days of examining work by artists mentioned on that thread and reading their philosophies about photography re-confirmed earlier beliefs that advancement builds on knowledge about what went before. That insight is true for both the arts and sciences and prompted the construction of the image below.

I've been struggling for some time with questions about what makes a photograph worth spending lots of time upon (definitely not money for me; aesthetic considerations are important; considerations about meaning are more important), so critiques are especially welcome.

Cheers
Mike

passing_through_a_picture_by_rufusthered-d8e9qu8.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Wise words by Asher on another thread that I took to heart. A few days of examining work by artists mentioned on that thread and reading their philosophies about photography re-confirmed earlier beliefs that advancement builds on knowledge about what went before. That insight is true for both the arts and sciences and prompted the construction of the image below.

I've been struggling for some time with questions about what makes a photograph worth spending lots of time upon (definitely not money for me; aesthetic considerations are important; considerations about meaning are more important), so critiques are especially welcome.

Cheers
Mike

passing_through_a_picture_by_rufusthered-d8e9qu8.jpg

Thanks Mike for your attention to my early thoughts on assessing worth in photography or art in general. To what extent are there objective parameters and do already recognized artists get a free pass?

Strange as it may seem, this much of my reply is by the light of my iphone as my wife sleeps and we approach 2:30 am!

So after I return from the end of Photo LA 2015 and the LA Art Show 2015 tomorrow, I will return to address your fascinating and artful creation!

Asher