• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Zeiss Visionar f1.6 100mm mod takes an Easter Sunday walk

Dr Klaus Schmitt

Beautiful Easter Sunday, cold but sunny and plenty of people out, so I took my modified Visionar for a walk....

16855139448_c46e2a0a4b_o.jpg

16855406500_be73308982_o.jpg

16855410330_806d67a803_o.jpg

17042099041_b2d6c74f62_o.jpg

17041479862_d2baf7f207_o.jpg

17016940986_2f23855933_o.jpg

Full set is here (scroll to end): https://www.flickr.com/photos/kds315/sets/72157648961220894/

Dr Klaus Schmitt

Yes, in a public park. There is no wind protection and actually there was quite some cold wind today.
Bit tricky to shoot wide open at f1.6 with a 100mm lens, but I'm used to doing this, all manual, no Autofocus,
like in the good old times. But one learns to predict where the focus will be and press the trigger at the right
time while framing the image (my images are always full frame as shot). I like mastering such challenges...

Thanks for your kind words! I saw on flickr you liked that last Tussilago shot ;-)

Cem_Usakligil

All great images. I've especially liked the image with the white flower on Flickr (number ending in... 234).

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Must?? I must die once. The rest is solely up to me. Hasn't the English language not invented "should" for that? Command tone here?

"Must" here means "It would be so wonderful, agreeable and pleasant should you choose to........see the Taj Mahal....visit Victoria Falls, (if that's still the name), experience a Greek wedding dance......feel the wind in your face on Nepalese mountains as lines of prayer flags dance to its rhythm.......and if you might, perhaps photograph a person you are taken by with your special and rare lenses"

That's must between friends!

Or you must try this icecream, you really must!

Asher

Asher Kelman

From Abstract to Ultra-real!

Beautiful Easter Sunday, cold but sunny and plenty of people out, so I took my modified Visionar for a walk....

16855410330_806d67a803_o.jpg

17016940986_2f23855933_o.jpg

It's funny, you using that succinct but cryptic label, "modified" for your adapted Visonar! We have no idea what hurdles you jumped over, but for sure, it's routine for you by now. For me, I'm left in awe as you repurpose lenses that were never imagined to be used with digital sensors.

I draw attention to these two pictures as they show the exceptionally creative possibilities of certain particular and rare lenses that allow us to "re-see" parts of our normal world in a partially abstract and ultra realistic combination.

No one, to my mind, has put together such fusion of opposite expression as beautifully as you have done in these two remarkable pictures. What happens then, is that we experience the April flowers emerging from some magical depth where creation of beauty must occur.

Asher

Dr Klaus Schmitt

Thank you, appreciate it!

Well that simple word "modified" stands for some complex "lens surgery" performed + described here by my friend Dan, which took many weeks to complete: Forcing a VISIONAR to accept a diaphragm

Here now how it looks after the surgery, mine is the one on the right (original Zeiss Jena), middle my friend's, left the one from a guy from Poland who did similar on a commercial basis ($2.500) (both are ROW aka Rathenower Optische Werke versions, licensed by Zeiss):
big_455_Visionar_100mm_converted_c_1.jpg

And here mounted on my camera, also showing the focusing helicoid...
455_IMG_4281_c_2.jpg

So once and forever my only excursion into lens technics. Won't happen again, as I rather show and discuss only the results of using it....

Asher Kelman

Thank you, appreciate it!

Well that simple word "modified" stands for some complex "lens surgery" performed + described here by my friend Dan, which took many weeks to complete: Forcing a VISIONAR to accept a diaphragm

Here now how it looks after the surgery, mine is the one on the right (original Zeiss Jena), middle my friend's, left the one from a guy from Poland who did similar on a commercial basis ($2.500) (both are ROW aka Rathenower Optische Werke versions, licensed by Zeiss):
big_455_Visionar_100mm_converted_c_1.jpg

And here mounted on my camera, also showing the focusing helicoid...
455_IMG_4281_c_2.jpg

So once and forever my only excursion into lens technics. Won't happen again, as I rather show and discuss only the results of using it....

Thanks for the special treat!

I am seduced to explore such a lens and a 60mm version is on its way!

Of course, connecting it is going to be fun. I might get a clamp and some rubber tubing and a helical mount, LOL!

Asher

Dr Klaus Schmitt

That will be perfect!

But what are the special challenges?

Asher

What's perfect about it not working?? The rear lens register (the available length between sharp focus at infinity and the rear mount) depends on focal length, so usually works only from a certain focal length onwards (as the mounting and adapter to camera needs some space between lens and camera). I have nearly all Visionar types and made tests, hence I know....

Asher Kelman

What's perfect about it not working?? The rear lens register (the available length between sharp focus at infinity and the rear mount) depends on focal length, so usually works only from a certain focal length onwards (as the mounting and adapter to camera needs some space between lens and camera). I have nearly all Visionar types and made tests, hence I know....

As I expected, but I thought you were still allowing that it could be adapted for macro? What are the caveats here? Is there a mm distance to subject? Anyway, your comment did imply use for macro. That's what pleased me in your statement!

So what is the minimum useful focal length on these lenses?

Asher

Lee Tracy

That is an insanely lovely lens, but I do not see myself adapting a lens like that myself. I might, however, get some one else who has the commitment and knowledge to do it.

Asher Kelman

That is an insanely lovely lens, but I do not see myself adapting a lens like that myself. I might, however, get some one else who has the commitment and knowledge to do it.

Lee,

Does it provide the kind of image you are searching for? Would this solve your quest of better representation of the flower's magic?

Getting the lens is just a mechanical problem and funding issue like a trip to the moon, but at least it could be a great solution for you and at a fraction of the cost, LOL!

Asher

Dr Klaus Schmitt

Yes, it is Lee. You could simply start using this lens without modification, just adapted to fit your camera. Much easier to do... (this is about a MEOPTA lens, but this works for basically any projection lens, given it has enough back focal length, so usually from some 80mm focal lengths onwards)

How to mount a projection lens, front adapter can be changed, as well as rear (now mft).
Rear camera mount has ND filter installed.

Works from infinity (depending on lens back focal length) to very closeup. Setscrews allow to calibrate the infinity position.

Lens --> Lens Adapter to M65 --> M65 to M42 Helicoid --> M42 to Camera mount Adapter

RAFCAMERA.com makes the front and rear adapters, also for SONY E-mount, this here is micro 4/3 (selling directly but also on ebay and amazon.com) [having my name etched into it was not vanity, but a gesture for me having designed those adapters]

It is not a slim elegant and lightweight solution, but the benefits are:

1) no lens modification needed
2) very durable
3) non rotating front
4) accepts a variety of lens types and lens diameters
5) allows a variety of camera mounts
6) safes money and time for not having to go to the gym

Lee Tracy

Lee,

Does it provide the kind of image you are searching for? Would this solve your quest of better representation of the flower's magic?

Getting the lens is just a mechanical and funding issue like a trip to the moon, but at least it could be a great solution for you and at a fraction of the cost, LOL!

Asher

Somewhat yes, I'm coming to the conclusion that it is not about what camera you have, but what lens you have. I'm starting to see piles of equipment in my future, which I am so trying to avoid, but I feel it creeping up on me.

Yes, it is Lee. You could simply start using this lens without modification, just adapted to fit your camera. Much easier to do... (this is about a MEOPTA lens, but this works for basically any projection lens, given it has enough back focal length, so usually from some 80mm focal lengths onwards)

How to mount a projection lens, front adapter can be changed, as well as rear (now mft).
Rear camera mount has ND filter installed.

Works from infinity (depending on lens back focal length) to very closeup. Setscrews allow to calibrate the infinity position.

Lens --> Lens Adapter to M65 --> M65 to M42 Helicoid --> M42 to Camera mount Adapter

RAFCAMERA.com makes the front and rear adapters, also for SONY E-mount, this here is micro 4/3 (selling directly but also on ebay and amazon.com) [having my name etched into it was not vanity, but a gesture for me having designed those adapters]

It is not a slim elegant and lightweight solution, but the benefits are:

1) no lens modification needed
2) very durable
3) non rotating front
4) accepts a variety of lens types and lens diameters
5) allows a variety of camera mounts
6) safes money and time for not having to go to the gym

Thanks so much for all the technical information Klaus, I'm keeping my eyes open for other film lenses (these old lenses do seem to be the best, judging by the results they give. And the blessing is that people sell them for next to nothing as well. I have no problems with them being fully manual either. Actually the challenge of using them and getting the settings right, is half the fun.

Dr Klaus Schmitt

Yep, it is fun and I do like the challenge. I get strange looks from shooters with their stabilized AF VX and whatnot lenses, since my sort of photography takes longer, but for me it is contemplation and meditation and a joy and I don't really care what they think....

Lee Tracy

Yep, it is fun and I do like the challenge. I get strange looks from shooters with their stabilized AF VX and whatnot lenses, since my sort of photography takes longer, but for me it is contemplation and meditation and a joy and I don't really care what they think....

AF .... most of the time it doesn't have a clue what you actually want to take a picture of. Even with my AF lenses I switch it off. Part of the process of composition is deciding where you want to focus.