• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

nub q: how to compare mini-lab print result to profile?

bonnyr

All,

I'm new to the area of *understanding* profiles (as opposed to understanding how CM is supposed to work), so bear with me.
I am using a raw converter to generate an output image to be printed on a mini lab (Agfa DLab-3) using a profile which
was downloaded from the Agfa site (when it was still a viable concern). I'm having problems in the resulting prints which I'm
trying to understand in order to solve (i.e is it the lab or the profile) and I would like to know how I can go about doing this (using visualisation tools like gamutvision and profile editors like profile maker) .

Basically the problem seems to be two fold:
1. There is a rudy colour cast on parts of the image (mostly visible in skies and neutral grays, and skin tone tends to red).
This problem seems to be more noticable when the lighting is flash/strobe based (I guess that when shooting in 'warm'
environments, the problem is somewhat masked by the lighting)

2. Some colours are pushed to almost iridescent versions of whatever the hue is - this is most notable in greens which turn
fluorescent like and blues which become rich royal blues, even if the original isn't.

What sort of options with the visualisation tools can allow me to correlate what I see in the print to areas in the profile and identifying
what's wrong with it? Is it too much to ask whether there are some hints at what can be done to solve the problems?

I hope I'm making sense...

Ray West

Hi Bonny,

I can't say what is wrong with what you are doing, but if it were me, being pc based, not mac, I'd simply get a print of the chart included with profile prism, and use that to produce an icc profile for the printer. I think the problem would be solved, in about ten minutes. (ddisoftware.com)

Best wishes,

Ray