• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Abstraction from Calla Lilies I

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Well, I spend so much time with real things - cleaning the swimming pool, wondering how to fix the air conditioner again, processing my last shoot, processing three shoots before that, models, backdrops, lights, flowers, that I decided to just follow my fancy and I have admired Charlottes work for some time.

I like the ethereal and spiritual quality. For me it means going back to sketching.

dsc09812CC_2014_ACR copy_4.jpg

Asher Kelman: Calla Lilies on Gold #1

Sony A7R Leica Summicron 50mm 1.4

Photoshop CC 2015 and Topaz Impression

Asher

Charlotte Thompson

Asher
Nice surprise for me this morning…waiting for coffee to brew and I find this! Wow Asher! I must say I love this. Looks so much like a painting. beautiful mix of colors and treatments….very engaging in an "old World" sort of way- Impressive my friend!!

Charlotte-

Asher Kelman

Asher
Nice surprise for me this morning…waiting for coffee to brew and I find this! Wow Asher! I must say I love this. Looks so much like a painting. beautiful mix of colors and treatments….very engaging in an "old World" sort of way- Impressive my friend!!

Charlotte,

I love visitors, and your delight is mine too!

So here's the other sibling, the sister so to speak!

dsc09812CC_2014_ACR copy3.jpg

Asher Kelman: Calla Lilies on Gold #2

I hope she fines favor in your eyes, too!

Asher

Charlotte Thompson

Asher

They are both truly amazing. I am so impressed firstly [firstly] is that a word… that you ventured out into this world ! and then after jumping into the Rabbit Hole with Alice you painted a Wonderland. Both have so much going on for them…the first one eases us back into the old world and paints a velvet murmur around the senses… the second one… shows deep threads of blue veins, perhaps the veins of the artist around the vibrant Lily as if surrounding with it life- New life,New Creation…Breath.

Charlotte-

Asher Kelman

Asher you have hit a home -run here... Wonderful stuff!

James,

Probably the most strange use for such a noble lens! I hope that Leica forgives me? To be able to focus small powerful lens like this so simply on the Sony camera is a delight.

Asher

Asher Kelman

Hi Asher,

the second one is far better for there's more light in it ... TopazLabs' Impression has left it's traces ... :)

Wolfgang,

Yes, It's always interesting when the curtains are opened! Yes, Topaz can leave some tracks. However, so does a deer or a field mouse! I use that software to create a copy that is really in outline. But I could have done it in PS directly. It is used together with a painted b.g.

Asher

Asher Kelman

Asher

They are both truly amazing. I am so impressed firstly [firstly] is that a word… that you ventured out into this world ! and then after jumping into the Rabbit Hole with Alice you painted a Wonderland. Both have so much going on for them…the first one eases us back into the old world and paints a velvet murmur around the senses… the second one… shows deep threads of blue veins, perhaps the veins of the artist around the vibrant Lily as if surrounding with it life- New life,New Creation…Breath.

Charlotte,

This is a special treat for myself. I love your work and it is a stimulus to follow on my previous work with layers that I used to do some ten years back. I'll share some of these once I find them.

There is a need in me do break up some boundaries of a scene and allow fantasy to enter into the composition by a combination of chance and directed breeding of various layers.

But first, one needs a good starting image with great structural "bones". That's the hardest part.

Asher

Asher Kelman

We have another version that has been in waiting!

dsc09812CC_2014_ACR copy 11.jpg

Asher Kelman: Calla Lilies on Gold #3

For your consideration!

Asher

Wolfgang Plattner

Wolfgang,

Yes, It's always interesting when the curtains are opened! Yes, Topaz can leave some tracks. However, so does a deer or a field mouse! I use that software to create a copy that is really in outline. But I could have done it in PS directly. It is used together with a painted b.g.

Asher
same here ... another used companion is Simplify, which creates, depending on the file, very useful outlines to accentuate given lines or borders. And another very useful base for me is "buzzsim" to get a basic color layer, somewhat similar to the old priming in paintings ...

But all these appreciated little helpers are used very subtle, decent with only the absolutely necessary opacity ...

Asher Kelman

same here ... another used companion is Simplify, which creates, depending on the file, very useful outlines to accentuate given lines or borders. And another very useful base for me is "buzzsim" to get a basic color layer, somewhat similar to the old priming in paintings ...
But all these appreciated little helpers are used very subtle, decent with only the absolutely necessary opacity ...

Wolfgang,

I use a painted background as the main intervention. Whenever I edit in layers, I make it "perfect" to my liking and then put it aside and do some other project. When I return I with a fresh reset of my brain, almost always I can reduce that effect considerably. That s whether it be an S-curive or another change.

But the main thing is that one has to start with a shape that one really believes in!

Asher

Charlotte Thompson

Asher

My favorite of this ensemble is the original! For me it speaks of mystery and warmth as if it were an uncovered artifact… The simplicity of the original speaks of much depth.

Charlotte-
p.s. Sister Hubertine loves it too!

Asher Kelman

Asher

My favorite of this ensemble is the original! For me it speaks of mystery and warmth as if it were an uncovered artifact… The simplicity of the original speaks of much depth.

p.s. Sister Hubertine loves it too!

Charlotte,

When there's enough black, one is free to bring one's own fairies, elves and dragons from behind the boulders and the deepest recesses of one's mind. That's why moonlight is so romantic and scary at the same time. Lovers hear two hear beats while, overhead, owls hunt for prey. Below, Mrs. field-mouse looking side to side, scurries home, as fast as her little legs can carry her.

Sunrise scares the fairy folk under the mushrooms and behind thistles plants and the owl continues ripping apart that mouse. There are no secrets left to hide!

Thats why darker regions have such a draw: hunt, mate or escape for just one more day.

Asher

Charlotte Thompson

Asher
Black lake, black boat, two black, cut-paper people.

Where do the black trees go that drink here?
Their shadows must cover Canada.

A little light is filtering from the water flowers.

Their leaves do not wish us to hurry:
They are round and flat and full of dark advice.

Cold worlds shake from the oar.

The spirit of blackness is in us, it is in the fishes.

A snag is lifting a valedictory, pale hand;

Stars open among the lilies.

Are you not blinded by such expressionless sirens?
This is the silence of astounded souls.

Sylvia Plath-

"darkness in art response for your original Lily"
Charlotte-

James Lemon

Hi Asher

I agree with Charlotte. Out of the three presented the first is all that she has described. The second is a very nice piece as well and the third is a bit to much white matting or something. You just have to study the first one a bit more to appreciate it.

James

Asher Kelman

Charlotte and James,

One of the best things that we have here is the gift of honesty and a serious attempt to risk and entertain new ideas!

This is very much appreciated.

Asher