• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

New auto calibrating printers, and print profiling...

Michael Seltzer

Hello,

So Canon has now also added built-in auto calibration to their printers, a'la HP. I'm curious, does anybody know if this means profiling (papers, inks, etc.) as well? Or is this really calibration--returning the printer to a known state, not an inconsiderable benefit. In other words, do these auto calibrators mean I no longer need separate print profiling software and hardware? (Well, I need them, as I don't own any of these new nifty printers, but if I were to buy one, someday, would I still need profiling equipment?)

Michael

Michael Seltzer

Hi again,

So for those interested, my question above has just been answered by Rob Galbraith (her: http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=7-8739-8965). And the answer is.... It appears that the new Canons auto-calibrate a printer, not profile. this is good for regularizing printer response across several printers (not an inconsiderable benefit if you use more than one printer). However, the Canon will not make separate icc profiles for different papers. The HPs will.

Michael