• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Some thoughts on white balance measurement diffusers

Doug Kerr

It is widely (but not universally) accepted that when using a camera equipped with a "white balance diffuser" to measure the chromaticity of the incident light (under the camera's "custom white balance" scheme), best practice is to place the "instrument" (i.e., the camera with the diffuser mounted) at the subject location.

(There are various opinions as to the best way to actually face the diffuser: toward the camera position for the shot, toward the principal light source, parallel to the "surface" of the subject, and so forth, but that is a minor detail.)

This of course makes sense. We are interested in having the instrument accept for measurement the same illumination that falls on the subject.

Nevertheless, we continue to hear reports of cases where, for whatever reason (generally convenience, or disbelief in the "common wisdom"), the measurement was taken from the shooting position, with the diffuser "facing the subject", with quite satisfactory white balance results.

This at first seems paradoxical. After all, the light reflected from the subject has a chromaticity that is greatly influenced by the "reflective color" of the subject. That is, of course, why a red sweater appears red in the image.

Thus, it might seem, a measurement from the camera position toward a subject wearing red would indicate a "reddish" chromaticity for the incident light. The camera would adopt a corresponding "color correction vector" and apply it to the actual shot, resulting in the subject's face having an unnatural bluish cast. Yet we don't seem to see this happening.

The explanation is that the "acceptance sensitivity pattern" of the typical diffuser is not a narrow one. It may well embrace almost the entire hemisphere. Of course, normally the sensitivity will decline with angle off axis, perhaps even somewhat following the classical "cosine" response of an "ideal" (Lambertian) transmissive diffuser. Nevertheless, except in the case of a subject that is "really wide" (the classical "red barn shot from close up" example), the light reflected from the subject does not make up a substantial fraction of the light "gathered" by the diffuser, and thus doesn't seriously influence its chromaticity.

Such a pattern, incidentally, would be desirable for our purposes, since (even with multiple light sources of disparate chromaticity, the dreaded "mixed light" situation) the light presented by the diffuser to the camera proper for measurement would exhibit the same chromaticity as the "illuminance" (in the full technical sense) on a subject surface at that location, oriented the same way as the diffuser.

In fact, when we make the measurement from the shooting position, we are really measuring the overall ambient light on the photographer, just as when measuring at the subject location we are measuring the overall ambient light on the subject. And in most cases, the color of the subject has no more effect on the chromaticity of the ambient light falling on the photographer than the reflective color of the photographer's shirt has on the chromaticity of the ambient light falling on the subject.

Accordingly, if the ambient light is roughly "global" (that is, has the same chromaticity as it lands any place in the battle zone, on a surface of any reasonable orientation), measurement of the chromaticity of the light falling on the photographer will give us a good estimate of the chromaticity of the light falling on the subject (which is what the camera needs to do its white balance work).

Does this dispose of the desirability of measuring at the subject location? No. In many cases, the ambient light is not "global", and a measurement of the chromaticity of the illumination on the photographer is not a good indication of the chromaticity of the illumination on the subject. But at least we see why measurement from the camera position works as well as it seems to in many cases.

Several curiosities in this area appear in connection with a new white balance diffuser, the Color Parrot, recently introduced by Drew Strickland (proprietor of the Pro Photo Home forums). It is intended, he says, to be used for measurement from the camera position for the shot. He claims that, used this way, it gives better results overall than competitive diffusers (maybe used in that same way). (These other diffusers are mostly said by their manufacturers to be intended for use at the subject location, as discussed above.)

Drew largely attributes this superior performance of the Color Parrot to the fact that it is "more targeted" than the other devices. He hasn't defined exactly what that means technically, but it seems as if he is saying that the Color Parrot has a narrower acceptance sensitivity pattern, causing it to concentrate more on the light arriving from the subject. Of course, for me, that doesn't seem desirable, given the concepts discussed above.

I have not yet seen any sensitivity pattern for the Color Parrot. However, I have seen the "white balance reference frame" taken by the camera with the Color Parrot in place, aimed at a model with a red sweater in front of a red studio background. The chromaticity of that reference frame was very nearly neutral over almost the entire frame.

Thus, I cannot help but believe that the "instrument" was essentially capturing the overall incident illumination on the camera position (just as with other diffusers), not substantially "targeting" the subject. Otherwise, we would expect the reference frame to have a substantially "reddish" cast overall.

I don't have any details of the Color Parrot's construction. But I have seen a picture of its various "layers" laid out. I don't see any obvious evidence of any optical component that would in fact cause a sensitivity pattern that varied substantially from the "cosine" pattern that would be exhibited by a classical diffuser.

The Color Parrot does seem to produce a non-uniform pattern of luminance across the reference frame, but that is of course unrelated to the acceptance sensitivity pattern.

But of course the supposed "targeted" directivity of the Color Parrot may well result from some optical principle that has not yet been disclosed and whose implementation is not obvious from the picture.

I'm sure we'll learn more about this as the product comes into use.

Well, just some food for thought.

It is widely (but not universally) accepted that when using a camera equipped with a "white balance diffuser" to measure the chromaticity of the incident light (under the camera's "custom white balance" scheme), best practice is to place the "instrument" (i.e., the camera with the diffuser mounted) at the subject location.

Hi Doug,

Thanks for the thought provoking summary. The above quote is what I also consider to be best practice. If we want to determine the chromaticity of the illuminant(s) and other reflected/ambient light incident on our subject, we should measure exactly that and not something else.

One interesting experiment could be to measure the color temperature (with a standard flat integrator) of the incident light in a 360 degree horizontal circle at fixed intervals, and compare it to reflected light from a spectrally uniform reflector. The incident light measurements are done in the opposite direction of the flat reflector.

The Color Parrot does seem to produce a non-uniform pattern of luminance across the reference frame, but that is of course unrelated to the acceptance sensitivity pattern.

Another open question is how the camera's Custom White balance reacts to the non-uniformity. Maybe it doesn't use a 'gray world' assumption algorithm? Perhaps it uses the same hardcoded algorithm as used for AWB, but without as many different clues.

But of course the supposed "targeted" directivity of the Color Parrot may well result from some optical principle that has not yet been disclosed and whose implementation is not obvious from the picture.

Whatever it is, it cannot 'see' anything else than some average of scene reflectance combined with whatever illuminants shine their light on the photographer (instead of the subject). The only possible variation is in the weighting across the 180 degree hemisphere in front of the camera.

Bart

Doug Kerr

Hi, Bart,

Thanks for your comments.
Another open question is how the camera's Custom White balance reacts to the non-uniformity. Maybe it doesn't use a 'gray world' assumption algorithm? Perhaps it uses the same hardcoded algorithm as used for AWB, but without as many different clues.

Perhaps so, but I can't see the point of it. The distribution of color across the operative part of the frame is not causally related to, for example, the distribution of color across different portions of the "acceptance pattern" of the diffuser. Similarly, when a gray card shot is used for reference, any variation in the color of the light reflected from the gray card across the operative region of the reference frame doesn't correspond to anything that would be of interest.

Whatever it is, it cannot 'see' anything else than some average of scene reflectance combined with whatever illuminants shine their light on the photographer (instead of the subject). The only possible variation is in the weighting across the 180 degree hemisphere in front of the camera.

Indeed. And it is in this (so far as I can tell) that Drew relies as giving the Color Parrot superior performance compared to other diffusers. But the actual concept, and its execution, are hard to divine.

Best regards,

Doug

Perhaps so, but I can't see the point of it. The distribution of color across the operative part of the frame is not causally related to, for example, the distribution of color across different portions of the "acceptance pattern" of the diffuser. Similarly, when a gray card shot is used for reference, any variation in the color of the light reflected from the gray card across the operative region of the reference frame doesn't correspond to anything that would be of interest.

Hi Doug,

I guess it depends on the actual algorithm used. The more enhanced versions I've seen may also employ heuristics based on Luminance related color (besides certain colors that need to be excluded from general WB weighting, such as sky, grass, skin, ...). Only if the algorithm/heuristic determines that a certain 'luminance/color' qualifies to be incorporated in the weighted calculation of the 'white-point', followed by 'Robertson's algorithm' to determine the dominant color temperature, it will be relevant.

Kind regards,
Bart

Doug Kerr

Hi, Bart,

Bart_van_der_Wolf;42702 Only if the algorithm/heuristic determines that a certain 'luminance/color' qualifies to be incorporated in the weighted calculation of the 'white-point'[/QUOTE said:
Oh, sure, that makes sense. But this doesn't involve the matter of the variation of color across of the reference image. That doesn't in any way separate the light from different sources. It's just an artifact of nonuniformity (perhaps intentional, but to what end) of the diffuser.

The addition of all the illuminance contributions (weighted by angle of incidence) is already inherently done at the face of the diffuser. The camera can't intervene in that.

Best regards,

Doug

But this doesn't involve the matter of the variation of color across of the reference image. That doesn't in any way separate the light from different sources. It's just an artifact of nonuniformity (perhaps intentional, but to what end) of the diffuser.

My point is that the nonuniformity (and I agree with) artifact, may trigger a somewhat different choice of 'whitepoint' as defined in the heuristic's boundary conditions, as long as there is a luminance and/or chromaticity difference that qualifies for in/exclusion in the WB calculations. I'm afraid I'm not at liberty to be more specific, due to research under contract for a client.

To put it differently, I share your scepticism with regards to the product that triggered your original post (and I'm being kind to Drew, whom I wish well, despite the marketing (dis-)information).

Kind regards,
Bart

Doug Kerr

Hi, Bart,

My point is that the nonuniformity (and I agree with) artifact, may trigger a somewhat different choice of 'whitepoint' as defined in the heuristic's boundary conditions, as long as there is a luminance and/or chromaticity difference that qualifies for in/exclusion in the WB calculations.

Oh, of course.

Best regards,

Doug