• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Let's talk about lenses.

Chris Calohan

Got my new piece of glass today and while I've only gotten to shoot it in less than stellar light, if these are any indication of this lenses' capabilities, I'm going to have some serious fun.

A note: Someone on another forum remarked somewhat snottily that if was just a matter of adding a 2x extender to this lens, everyone would do it and further commented as to how poorly it would perform at 800mm. You be the judge. I already had the extender so gave it a shot anyway. This shot is from about 60 feet (three meters).

13419296004_0f357bce90_b_d.jpg

Right out of the box with TCIIIE 2X extender

Caught up with some feeding pelicans. They were a bit out there and again, in poor late afternoon light (6:45PM CST - USA)

13418926475_db71c8ed8c_z_d.jpg

13419297084_403f56f89e_b_d.jpg

13418926305_fd3a0788ba_b_d.jpg

Random Pelicans: Chris Calohan

And as I was leaving the park area, I came upon this guy way out on the dunes.

13418925905_46bc57d91a_b_d.jpg

Saying Goodnight: Chris Calohan​

Ben Rubinstein

pro member
I live opposite the Jerusalem Forest. I've never gone for a real explore as my feet don't do walking so well. I had a day off today, was supposed to be at a photo conference in Tel Aviv which fell through at the last second. I had taken the day off work anyway so I decided to go for a bike ride through the top part of the forest. The weather is gorgeous, light beautiful and diffuse. I was actually scouting for a location for a model shoot but I came across this.

_909735.jpg

Jerusalem Forest, A7r, Pentax 50mm Super Takumar f1.4 @ f11 handheld.​

This is my second copy of this lens, I bought it for $80, it was advertised as treated for the yellow staining caused by the radioactive element. Of course it wasn't but it's in a lot better condition than my first copy and now I have two I can take the chance to relay a repair on both of them myself to remove the staining and gain the possibility of colour photography. Living here in the Mid East does allow me lots of UV exposure for the lens!

Ben Rubinstein

pro member
Was demonstrating a concept to my students and took a quick shot against the white board in the classroom to show the idea of making the mind beg for more information photographically or how to force the imagination to get into gear. Rather like how it came out actually. I wonder if my students realise just how much I use them to actualise thoughts in my head visually... :)

molly_.jpg

A7r, Pentax M85mm f2 at f2.8

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Got my new piece of glass today and while I've only gotten to shoot it in less than stellar light, if these are any indication of this lenses' capabilities, I'm going to have some serious fun.

A note: Someone on another forum remarked somewhat snottily that if was just a matter of adding a 2x extender to this lens, everyone would do it and further commented as to how poorly it would perform at 800mm. You be the judge. I already had the extender so gave it a shot anyway. This shot is from about 60 feet (three meters).

Chris,

What system does the TCIIIE 2X extender belong to. Is it the same as the Canon 2X extender version IIII?

The first image is not showing, BTW.

13418926475_db71c8ed8c_z_d.jpg

Impressive 800mm. Didi you use a tripod? I imagine this is on a 100-400 Canon L lens? Is the bird that dark, or you that's your chosen process?

13418925905_46bc57d91a_b_d.jpg

I love the color and the striking silhouette.

Asher

Asher Kelman

I live opposite the Jerusalem Forest. ........................ The weather is gorgeous, light beautiful and diffuse. I was actually scouting for a location for a model shoot but I came across this.

_909735.jpg

Jerusalem Forest, A7r, Pentax 50mm Super Takumar f1.4 @ f11 handheld.​

Ben,

A new venture for you and so serene. It hasn't the sense of time of the narrow streets and stones of Mea Shearim in old Jerusalem, but it does give us an uplift and a sense of active time happening as a blessing to us all.

This is my second copy of this lens, I bought it for $80, it was advertised as treated for the yellow staining caused by the radioactive element. Of course it wasn't but it's in a lot better condition than my first copy and now I have two I can take the chance to relay a repair on both of them myself to remove the staining and gain the possibility of colour photography. Living here in the Mid East does allow me lots of UV exposure for the lens!

What's the magic you enjoy the most from this lens? Can't you just leave the lens outside in the sun for a a day or will the heat damage it? Many labs in Hadassah or the Hebrew University will have UV lights.

Asher

Ben Rubinstein

pro member
happ.jpg

A7r, Pentax 50mm Super Tak 1.4 @f2.8

My wife looking so happy in her sleep that her precious son is cuddling up to her. First time the loud thunk of the shutter has been a real problem on my A7r. He was looking round for the next shot!

Ben Rubinstein

pro member
_526582.jpg

A7r, Pentax M85mm f2 @ f11

My first time ever shooting Hollywood lighting. Taken me a year to persuade this girl, one of my ex students, to allow me to photograph her, she 'hates cameras', hugely self conscious. I know harsh lighting might seem counter intuitive but here it has worked perfectly to show her in a way she is comfortable with.

atara2.jpg

Here is another from that shoot.

I find studio shoots very difficult with manual lenses and stopped down focusing. When shooting stopped down in a dark(ish) environment the camera is applying so much gain and has so much noise that accurate stopped down focusing, difficult enough due to the DOF, is a real challenge. I decided to go back to the past. I shot off a tripod, focused wide open where with peaking it was easy and fast and then stopped down the lens and shot. These shots in a dark room with a single strobe at f11 were possible as a result. It's slow enough and rather old fashioned but hey so was the style of lighting and composition so it didn't contradict :).

Michael Nagel

The second one is the one I prefer of these two.

On focusing:
The M 85/2 is probably easier on a DSLR (Starting with the K-5 it became quite easy). It stays at f/2 while focusing and starting with the K-5 the screen was a little better than before which helped.

Best regards,
Michael

Ben Rubinstein

pro member
Thanks. Yes, the focusing system the lenses were designed for is to focus wide open and the close down for the actual exposure. The system I'm using is closer to that of a view camera.

Ben Rubinstein

pro member
re.jpg

A7r, FD 20mm @ f4 (I think)

Shooting reportage manual focus with old lenses using the A7r is really difficult. At least for me. First of all shooting with a 20mm, 50mm and 85mm, all of different ages and vastly different colour palettes is not easy. Especially when one of them turns the opposite direction than the other. Peaking in this kind of lighting is really difficult (due to the contrast) and shooting stopped down means having to zoom in to focus which is slow. The light coming through the windows begged for modern lens coatings which especially my 20mm and 85mm could really have done with. Oh and shooting reportage with a 20mm manual focus and peaking is pretty much impossible. Funnily enough, lag, with the lumina shutter release and having gotten used to it is a lot better than it once was.

Oh well it's not something I didn't know but the synagogue called me up and asked me to take a few photos at an event, I told them I could only try given that I didn't have any of the right gear. I will say this though, the AWB and skin colour in a mix of different coloured fluorescents and sunlight was unbelievable. Incredible. I wish, I so wish I had this sensor for a decade of wedding shooting!

Asher Kelman

Shooting reportage manual focus with old lenses using the A7r is really difficult.

re.jpg

A7r, FD 20mm @ f4 (I think)​

Ben, This is superb! Not many photographers on the planet can get this shot with any camera!

Oh well it's not something I didn't know but the synagogue called me up and asked me to take a few photos at an event, I told them I could only try given that I didn't have any of the right gear. I will say this though, the AWB and skin colour in a mix of different coloured fluorescents and sunlight was unbelievable. Incredible. I wish, I so wish I had this sensor for a decade of wedding shooting!

What do you mean? The A7R still manages to give a great picture or it's incredible to be even thinking of working in color under such circumstances?

BTW, with the Canon 5DII at a reception for an engagement, with a mixture all kinds of lighting and then a woman with leukemia, pale, blue and ghostly and a man that drinks too much and then a lady with rosacea all meant I did multiple versions of the picture and masked out everything but that one face at a time to enable one to get something looking like a celebration and not a show at some circus or a scene from the land of "Zombies and the Walking Dead"!

So I'd love to know whether the Sony A7r does OH with AWB in mixed light, and no zombies!

Asher

Ben Rubinstein

pro member
I meant that the colour of this sensor is absolutely superb. Mixed lighting and fluorescents are not where Canon excels but this sony sensor with sony colour is a world better. The AWB is also exceptionally good even in mixed lighting.

Michael Nagel

Asher,

This was an unprocessed shot at ISO 1600, f2.5

I am not familiar with this series, except that they are very compact and likely as not will not cover full frame, but I'll look it up!

The FA series design started back during film times. The lens was designed for Kleinbild so no worries here.

Let me shed some more light on this (pun intended). This lens was liked at LuLa, A search will yield more about this lens.

Best regards,
Michael

Bob Latham

Here's a look at at lens special more for its construction than its performance....not that it falls short in the latter respect.

Heinz Kilfitt produced some revolutionary items over the years. Early production was based in Leichenstein and later in Munich before he sold the entire business to Zoomar upon his retirement. Credited with offering the first cartridge loading 35mm camera he then followed this up with the first 1:1 macro lens for 35mm format.

In the late 50's and through the 1960's he produced the Pan-Tele-Kilar. The P-T-K was a 300mm f/4 which utilised a combination of rack and pinion and helicoid focusing. At normal telephoto distances the rack and pinion was used to extend the barrel by virtue of two wheels (or with the addition of some short wands for more rapid response). With the barrel at maximum extension, an MFD of around 4m was possible. To facilitate focusing closer subjects it was possible to rotate the front portion of the lens using the helicoid which brought the MFD down to a respectaable 1.4m.

The lens, as with many of Kilfitt's other offerings had a changeable mount system to allow use on Pentacon Six, Leica, M42 ad Exacta bodies due to it's 80mm image circle.

Here's the lens set for "normal" telephoto use.....

p782269419-4.jpg

and now with the front helicoid extended for closer, higher magnification subjects.....

p544770192-4.jpg

and does it perform to an acceptable standard 50+ years later?....I think so although I suspect that it wasn't quite what Canon foresaw when the spec'd the AF of the 1Dx.

Bob

p865446026-4.jpg

Roger Lund

Well, This changes weekly.. because I have a slight buying problem... ^^

Right now These are my fav.

Jupiter 8 - 50mm F2.0

Travenar A.Schacht ULM 135MM F3.5

SCHNEIDER-KREUZNACH Edixa-CURTAGON

Meyer Optik Gorlitz Primotar 135mm F3.5

I normally bring two lens, and it depends on my mood on what what focal length, and the lenses I bring.

fahim mohammed

A scene on top of a mountain at a little over 4500 meters...

Just a normal b&w, no curves, no sharpening..nothing...

p1283356023-6.jpg

Now a 100% crop from the scene....

p1283356019-6.jpg

A lens can be sharp, but why does one need a sharp lens all the time? If it has it, good. If not, look at its other characteristics..resolution, clarity etc. If it has most of the things required by the photog..stick with it.