• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

13 inch MacBook PRO mmm Me wants ..

From all that is new at Apple, and if I was running a newspaper (remember those?) the headline could be--

$100 BUCKS IPHONE

Yep that is big news, but another story altogether. The other interesting news, but author specific, is the upgrading of the 13 inch MacBook to PRO level and the attractive price tag of $1199. The fact that this camera comes with FireWire makes it a very desirable little PRO.

I work on 3 Macs, one MacPro 4 core Intel that is as this week out with Black Display Syndrome, my old PowerMac G4 1,25Ghz Mirror door tower -very noisy but good to have since it is the one I am using now-- and my old Power Book G4.

The G4 was in the mail when they announced the new Intel migration, and has served me really well, but is out of service because of AC cord failed --

So it is time for updating the MacBook.

Have you noticed that now we have to be constantly updating?

* The cellular device (this is more and more a full fledged computer.)
* The Play Station
* The Camera (this is more and more like a computer with more and more megapixel etc)
* The portable computer
* Soon -- the Apple Tablet
* The desktop computer
* The camcorder
* The Motorola radios

Ever-working devices like the Leica and Hasselblad 500 c/m are things of a past when you could live your son (daughter), say, a Rolleiflex... but, imagine my Power Book G4 when Roberto, my 7 y/o son goes to high school ??

Anyway,

The 13 inch is a perfect size to use at home on my WiFi stream, to travel (and pass it trough security check), or shoot tethered -got to get me a 800>400 adapter- and it is water proof to 5f ... just kidding...

wwdc2009-134.jpg

(redirected from gizmo.com)

Michael Fontana

pro member
Have you noticed that now we have to be constantly updating?
yep, I noticed it, but I think that this message might be adressed do someone else ;-)

Off course, nobody wants to work with old stuff - by having stable working environement is more relax and doesn't makes our images worse. As the new MacPro's aren't really a step ahead, I still use my PPC-Quad... and might jump next january.

Still it's the photographer, who makes the image, the rest are tools.

Good luck with your new Macbook :)

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Leonardo,

What I want is weight drop, me and the gear I carry! Everything adds up so quickly. Unfortunately Apple only allowed 3GB RAM n my Macbook Pro and the migration upwards is hardly worth it. I have an 8 Core Macintel at work with PS4 but at home a G5 Dual machine and it works fine but is slow in GB files. My G4 is flawless. I use that to work on emails and OPF while the G5 is busy.

I'm interested n the 13" MacBook Pro for travel as part of a low weight scheme together with taking with only at 20 mm and 50 mm lens perhaps.

These upgrades are part of the taxation system of people addicted to the best.

Asher

Asher, It is good to see you. I feel bad when I drift away from the forums, but I have to tell you that I had my first one man show ... as a painter. And sold 10 large acrylic abstract pieces... on the other side I have yet to sell any STOCK image on Alamy.com, but I have to keep uploading, I guess...

Anyway, this 13 inch may be the computer I was looking for. I have even been checking the PC sub notes or web books that have very good prices and form factor... until you hit with a little problem: VISTA (no need to elaborate on that problem).

I have seen some traveling photographers that use the old Power Book, what was it 12 or 13 inch.?, I was so curious one day that I asked one about it and he said that he buys them second hand and only uses that size....

In other words, a PRO laptop that is as small as possible but maintains the minimum ports... (in this case there is a SD card slot clearly aimed at photographers and it is included in the 13 in.)

Portability in portables is a factor, and going through airport security gates is stressing enough...

I was thinking hard about the incoming iTablet, but there are some questions about it. Will Capture 1, CS3 and other programs work on iPhone OS? will it have FireWire? etc...

My Mac portables have been very good to me regardless of being in forced labor custody, but the problems I have had are with two things: charge adapter and battery.

The first is now of the magnet type and may solve a lot of my problems --remember I have an old G5--
With the battery Apple is taking a controversial turn to the non user replaceable route... I think it may not have to bee necessarily a bad route, what do you think?