• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

If "The 3rd Element in Photography" renders it "exceptional" how is this achieved?

Robert Watcher

I hope you don't tar me with that brush, Robert.

With respect, I sometimes find that you seem to appear too self important with the posting up of your imagery. You post your own on here but give no feedback to others' work, if at all. Why not?
Talking about photographs and commenting on others work is what is important too, and implies a shared knowledge.

I was just babbling on with what was on my mind at the moment - most of which is always based on past experiences, triggered by current ones. No personal attack on you Paul. I have no idea whether anyone posting thoughts or images online, is a master or a fraud - has head knowledge or real life experience - whether I am talking to a real person or an avatar. That is the nature of the web. So my talk is sparce and always in generalities ---- often inspired by someone, aimed at no one.

Because you don't know me personally - I will accept that your take on me is that I present myself as self important. I do not like critique - and so have nothing to add by expressing my opinion. When it is asked of me and I reluctantly comply because I sense a sincerity in such a request - it doesn't often go well. I have participated in photography forums for 15 years and am hardened to the realities.

The odd time that I visited libraries in the past to look at photography books of well known photographers or masters - they were generally filled with photographic images, and little if any description on the process involved. I learned by looking at images that appealed to me and trying to create images that may include those elements. I improved by observing and shooting and failing - by pushing boundaries and experimenting. My learning did not come from reading details about a proccess and trying to copy that.

So I am not saying I am right. I just happen to feel that people can learn best by viewing photographs that appeal to them and even be inspired by them to stop reading about how things are supposed to be done, and get out shooting. Some may not agree with that approach - some may conclude that I am filled with self importance --- but that is my motivation for posting my images here. Mine fit in the mix of everyone elses images that are posted so that viewers can recognize what they like from a broad spectrum of material - or at the least be motivated to get out and shoot the way they want.

I have been known to give a vote of confidence to the odd image that appeals to me as I quickly check out the most recent posts. Sometimes even when the image isn't that good in my eyes, but I can sense the effort exceeds the natural abilities. Once in a blue moon, a compliment just to make the person feel good because I'm in a feel-good mood.

BTW - if I am asked for help, I am a generous giver.

-------

Doug Kerr

Good grief! I just realized that I was careless in reading this thread and I thought it was about a third elephant in images.

Still, that could add a lot.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I was just babbling on with what was on my mind at the moment - most of which is always based on past experiences, triggered by current ones. No personal attack on you Paul. I have no idea whether anyone posting thoughts or images online, is a master or a fraud - has head knowledge or real life experience - whether I am talking to a real person or an avatar. That is the nature of the web. So my talk is sparce and always in generalities ---- often inspired by someone, aimed at no one.

Because you don't know me personally - I will accept that your take on me is that I present myself as self important. I do not like critique - and so have nothing to add by expressing my opinion. When it is asked of me and I reluctantly comply because I sense a sincerity in such a request - it doesn't often go well. I have participated in photography forums for 15 years and am hardened to the realities.

The odd time that I visited libraries in the past to look at photography books of well known photographers or masters - they were generally filled with photographic images, and little if any description on the process involved. I learned by looking at images that appealed to me and trying to create images that may include those elements. I improved by observing and shooting and failing - by pushing boundaries and experimenting. My learning did not come from reading details about a proccess and trying to copy that.

So I am not saying I am right. I just happen to feel that people can learn best by viewing photographs that appeal to them and even be inspired by them to stop reading about how things are supposed to be done, and get out shooting. Some may not agree with that approach - some may conclude that I am filled with self importance --- but that is my motivation for posting my images here. Mine fit in the mix of everyone elses images that are posted so that viewers can recognize what they like from a broad spectrum of material - or at the least be motivated to get out and shoot the way they want.

I have been known to give a vote of confidence to the odd image that appeals to me as I quickly check out the most recent posts. Sometimes even when the image isn't that good in my eyes, but I can sense the effort exceeds the natural abilities. Once in a blue moon, a compliment just to make the person feel good because I'm in a feel-good mood.

BTW - if I am asked for help, I am a generous giver.

-------

Robert,

I don't think it's true that we don't know each other personally. Gradually, the onion skin is peaked each time there is a discussion and our nature's are once again revealed. That's the way all dramas unfold and it cannot be hidden, as something happens we don't expect and in responding we pivot and make a choice the reveals a little more of us.

I have also travelled and visited many OPFrs and so far there's no light between the persona here and their true character.

Any others just don't last!

Asher