• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My World: The Only Real Reason for Large Format Cameras; Wollensak Verito and their ilk

Jim Galli

Chatting with Asher just now and mentioned that if it were not for serious soft focus lenses, I would not bother with large format film cameras.

38Coupe7Verito_01s.jpg

The dreamy soft focus interpretations that are only possible with the brute force of gigantic real estate; (ie. 5X7, 6.5X8.5, 8X10 film) and ancient soft focus portrait and pictorial leneses, are to me the final hold out.

38Coupe7Verito_02.jpg

These images to me at least (and in my world, I'm the only vote that counts) are a breath of fresh air in a sea of stupid-sharp-all-the-sameness. I'm weary of perfect pictures. Give me a piece of film with the dirt and grit and nose hairs left over from me cutting it to the size I needed for the camera.

38Coupe7Verito_03.jpg

On a summer evening at 6000 feet elevation where I live, if I'm alone, the potatoes go in the oven for 2 hours of baking, and I get in the survivor Ford and go looking for some kind of a back drop. Almost anything will do.

In this case, the 7" (178mm, Virginia) Verito is a bit undersized for the 5X7 film, which is why it gets to swirling out on the far edges. Yumm. Even better.

I have a hundred ancient lenses with a hundred different personalities, and honestly, that's the only reason I keep taking pictures.

Of course the Nikon D200 is handy for when I horse trade on ebay :~'))

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Chatting with Asher just now and mentioned that if it were not for serious soft focus lenses, I would not bother with large format film cameras.

38Coupe7Verito_01s.jpg

The dreamy soft focus interpretations that are only possible with the brute force of gigantic real estate; (ie. 5X7, 6.5X8.5, 8X10 film) and ancient soft focus portrait and pictorial leneses, are to me the final hold out.

38Coupe7Verito_02.jpg

These images to me at least (and in my world, I'm the only vote that counts) are a breath of fresh air in a sea of stupid-sharp-all-the-sameness. I'm weary of perfect pictures. Give me a piece of film with the dirt and grit and nose hairs left over from me cutting it to the size I needed for the camera.

38Coupe7Verito_03.jpg

On a summer evening at 6000 feet elevation where I live, if I'm alone, the potatoes go in the oven for 2 hours of baking, and I get in the survivor Ford and go looking for some kind of a back drop. Almost anything will do.

In this case, the 7" (178mm, Virginia) Verito is a bit undersized for the 5X7 film, which is why it gets to swirling out on the far edges. Yumm. Even better.

I have a hundred ancient lenses with a hundred different personalities, and honestly, that's the only reason I keep taking pictures.

Of course the Nikon D200 is handy for when I horse trade on ebay :~'))

?

Agreed, Jim

The soft focus is exemplary and each lens has a unique way of drawing.

.........But surely, as important, the meditative process. This filters out distractions. So we focus creative energy to one or two sheets of film.

Can we add that as a reason for keeping LF alive?

Asher

Asher Kelman

...and maybe a 3rd reason.

We now have cut down our store of shots in a session from a hundred to a handful. Also we don’t need a computer.

Backups? Contact print another on reversal film.

Much more meaningful if done with discipline!

Asher

Jim Galli

?

Agreed, Jim

The soft focus is exemplary and each lens has a unique way of drawing.

.........But surely, as important, the meditative process. This filters out distractions. So we focus creative energy to one or two sheets of film.

Can we add that as a reason for keeping LF alive?

Asher

You've got your 'R's' mixed up. It's not a religion, it's relaxation. I go through the process to relax. I find it very soothing to look at the world upside down on a glass. And it's sort of fun when you take the negs out of the jobo tank and look at what you've accomplished for the first time as you hang them up to dry. I always have a feeling of intrinsic value. When I'm dead, these silver images will remain ------------------- until someone takes them all to the landfill.

And yes, I struggle with medium format film cameras because honestly, I can't think of 12 things to take a picture of. So a sheet at a time with weeks in between is my normal.

Asher Kelman

“Meditative” I never thought of religion here, just exactly as you have, relaxation!

Also escape! Once in the darkroom, no disturbance, isolation and privacy!

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Jim,

When I'm dead, these silver images will remain ------------------- until someone takes them all to the landfill.

But the value in that work does not come from the immortality of the product, or even its valuation by others, now or later. It comes from its accomplishment. And it comes directly to YOU.

Or so it seems here at a lower elevation (4575 ft MSL).

Best regards,

Doug

He is no fool who parts with that which he cannot keep, when he is sure to be recompensed with that which he cannot lose.

-Philip Henry (1631-1696)​