• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Paths - a recurring theme

Mike Shimwell

We've talked before about the path as a recurring theme and metaphor in photography (and painting). Certainly, when I look through my library there are a lot of picture featuring paths running away into the ditance.

I was amused to find this evening when wandering back through some of the last few weeks downloads to find these two pictures, where the composition is strikingly similar, albeit in two different environments:)

Morning and evening by the way!

Comments and thoughts welcome.

Mike

Starbeck Station 9 dec 2009 - Mike Shimwell
20091209-r0010668.jpg

Alnmouth Beach 31 Dec 2009 - Mike Shimwell
20091231-r0010815.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Mike,

This, in all cultures, "Life, as a journey" appears to be the master metaphor of life, (assuming the the metaphors assumed but not realized in basic language building blocks like "up" and "down" are not counted here). So it's not surprising that we should have this influence our artist expression.

So this journey can be blocked, diverted, have an open road, come to a crossroad where a decision has to be made and the like. We can go forward and around obstacles and change out destination.

Often it merges with another major metaphor, life's events as a series of battles, so we can advance, retreat outflank, charge ahead remap.

It's fun to see how we all approach life's journey through our pictures, knowingly or without realizing it!

Asher

P.S. Mike I'll return to your two fascinating picture after the LA Art Show tonight!

Since Asher turned Mike's post into a Challenge, I'll respond by posting one of my Pathway photos. I have shot many pictures of paths disappearing around a corner, but this one seems to have been more successful than most. Perhaps because of the threatening sky.

3463484-lg.jpg

Charles Webster: Under a Threatening Sky

Canon 300D with kit lens - EXIF lost.

Steve Davis

Here's a couple of my paths...
The first is more about the path (the pier) and it's destination.
the second is as much about the person on the path as the path itself, and the synergy of the two.

69742929_tpzGW-L-4.jpg

105881314_PNiFa-L.jpg

Asher Kelman

Charles and Steve,

My comments are just a large thanks as these pictures are telling there own story within the grand metaphor of life's journey. Very apt images that we can relate too, as in a gallery!

Last edited:
Weather permitting, I do a lot of trail walking. I always carry my camera with the birding howitzer mounted. It occurred to me recently that I never record the trail itself, just the things I find around it. Here's a recent attempt at a trail image.

original.jpg

©2009 Winston Mitchell: Cottonwood Creek Trail
Sony DSLR-A700 ,Sony SAL-70400G, 1/125s, f/16.0, 70.0mm, iso320

Last edited:

Cem_Usakligil

We've talked before about the path as a recurring theme and metaphor in photography (and painting). Certainly, when I look through my library there are a lot of picture featuring paths running away into the ditance.

I was amused to find this evening when wandering back through some of the last few weeks downloads to find these two pictures, where the composition is strikingly similar, albeit in two different environments:)

Morning and evening by the way!

Comments and thoughts welcome.

Mike

Starbeck Station 9 dec 2009 - Mike Shimwell
20091209-r0010668.jpg

Alnmouth Beach 31 Dec 2009 - Mike Shimwell
20091231-r0010815.jpg
Hi Mike,

Excellent idea and great images to get things started. I'll chime in later, when I have the time.

Cheers,

Steve Robinson

Here are two from me taken last autumn in Yellowstone.

770736209_bHvk3-O.jpg

Steve Robinson: Yellow Stone Autumn 2009 #1

770740913_UaovU-O.jpg

Steve Robinson: Yellow Stone Autumn 2009 #2

Enjoy,

Steve

Cem_Usakligil

Here is one I had shown a few years back, but it fits the bill so here it comes again:

c07489.jpg

Gretel's final trip to the woods

Cheers,

Mike Shimwell

Here is one I had shown a few years back, but it fits the bill so here it comes again:

c07489.jpg

Gretel's final trip to the woods

Cheers,

Cem

This reminds me of W Eugene Smith's photo, 'The Walk to Paradise Garden'. I believe this was the first picture he took after recovering from a long illness or injury. Who knows where your couple are headed and what lies around the hidden bend in the road.
Great

Mike

StuartRae

Apologies for posting three images - I couldn't make my mind up.

path1.jpg

Stuart Rae: Road through Honister slate quarries
EOS 350D, 17-85 @ 30mm, f8, 1/800 sec, ISO 200

path2.jpg

Stuart Rae: Between Seatoller and Grange
EOS 350D, 17-85 @ 17mm, f9, 1/400 sec, ISO 200

path3.jpg

Stuart Rae: Langstrath
EOS 350D, 17-85 @ 22mm, f8, 1/400 sec, ISO 200

Regards,

Stuart

Cem_Usakligil

Here's an old one - even 95 I was taking pictures of paths:)

From Africa.

Mike

4296636414_3fc7e63dd0_o.jpg
I really like the atmosphere of this picture Mike. Great layering on the mountains and composition. It makes me think of my own analog captures waiting to be digitized some day, sigh! Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,

Mike Shimwell

I really like the atmosphere of this picture Mike. Great layering on the mountains and composition. It makes me think of my own analog captures waiting to be digitized some day, sigh! Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,

Thanks Cem,

I stil remember stopping the car and getting out into the rain!

Mike

Cem_Usakligil

Cem

This reminds me of W Eugene Smith's photo, 'The Walk to Paradise Garden'. I believe this was the first picture he took after recovering from a long illness or injury. Who knows where your couple are headed and what lies around the hidden bend in the road.
Great

Mike
Hi Mike,

It is a great compliment to have taken a picture which reminded you of this iconic picture. To be totally honest, I did not know about this picture of WE Smith until you've pointed it out. My education in history of photography leaves a bit to be desired it seems ;-).

Cheers,

Cem_Usakligil

770740913_UaovU-O.jpg

Steve Robinson: Yellow Stone Autumn 2009 #2

Hi Steve,

Yellow Stone indeed :). The picture looks as if it's been taken a century ago, not only because of the color. The environment is devoid of any details and especially trees (except for one in the distance). This can be any place on earth, a steppe/tundra or a prairie. Or perhaps the grand entrance to a ranch. Very intriguing, thanks for showing.

Cheers,

janet Smith

pro member
Tangled branches are nice. The path does work, framed by the tangle, and I suspect this would make a nice print. It's crying out to have been shot on HP5 though:)

Hi Mike

Glad you like it, thanks....

Great idea for a thread, there's some lovely shots from everyone, and like you I've been shooting paths as long as I can remember....

Jan

janet Smith

pro member
Apologies for posting three images - I couldn't make my mind up.

path1.jpg

Stuart Rae: Road through Honister slate quarries
EOS 350D, 17-85 @ 30mm, f8, 1/800 sec, ISO 200

Hi Stuart

I like all of these, in fact I'll be staying not too far from this shot in a couple of weeks, fingers crossed for better weather!!!​

Steve Robinson

Hi Steve,

Yellow Stone indeed :). The picture looks as if it's been taken a century ago, not only because of the color. The environment is devoid of any details and especially trees (except for one in the distance). This can be any place on earth, a steppe/tundra or a prairie. Or perhaps the grand entrance to a ranch. Very intriguing, thanks for showing.

Cheers,

Thanks Cem. That of course was my intent and my first try at sepia toning in LR.

Steve Robinson

Out today after 9 in / 23 cm of new snow were some cross country skiers and snow shoers (?) making tracks.

772552093_8xF4B-XL.jpg

Steve Robinson: Riverfront Park Winter Path​

This better Asher?

Asher Kelman

Fahim, Steve, Steve D., Winston, Stuart, Janet, Cem and Mike,

This group perspective is what I'd dreamed would result in this topic and you guys are delivering in spades. This is building into a most rich collection of impressive images that reach into the branches of how we look at our present, past and future. Be particularly proud of this individual and joint vision. I'm inspired by your work and the execution of your individual ideas. Keep it coming.

Asher

StuartRae

Hi Fahim,

fahim mohammed said:
An old photo:
I like it! Reminds me of the second age of man:

Then, the whining schoolboy with his satchel
And shining morning face, creeping like snail
Unwillingly to school.......................

Regards,

Stuart

Portions of the green belt are on top of a levee that borders the river. This was taken on a foggy morning.

original.jpg

©2009 Winston Mitchell: Garden City Green Belt
Sony DSLR-A700, Konica-Minolta 28-75mm f/2.8 (D) AF: 1/125s, f/8.0, at 50.0mm, iso160​