• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Some soccer with the 400D

Nill Toulme

Today was the first time I've shot any soccer in a few weeks, and it just happened to be with the 400D (XTi) that came in the mail yesterday to replace the 20D as my walkaround/fishing/travel cam. I thought I'd see how the latest "entry level DSLR" fares on a sports outing. Bottom line — I think it did just fine.

There were a few size mismatches...

061104-aysa12bbl-050_std.jpg

...but the scrappy little blue guys won going away, 3-0.

061104-aysa12bbl-134_std.jpg

061104-aysa12bbl-053_std.jpg

061104-aysa12bbl-097_std.jpg

Another hundred frames, with EXIF and slideshow, here.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I'm so impressed with all the shots. A great match the 400mm 2.8. I presume it is the Canon 2.8?

Is it IS and that must be heavy to hold for the whole game, but I guess it's not as bad as holding a 1DII and that lens!

The bokeh is beautiful and the kids must be thrilled.

Asher

Amazingly, the kid in blue in the 2cd and 4th pictures is a dead ringer for my eldest son at that age! I even hoodwinked my wife that they were old soccer pictures I scanned from pictures taken 20 years ago!

Under "fair use", of course I'm forwarding the link to my eldest son!

Jim Kenny

4X4 ...

400x400

For the most part are you shooting much if a burst ? like 8 or 9 frames to get the examples posted ?

Also, The keeper .... looks a little soft ... and loose

# 4 ... really like the over all look with the colors in the background and the fact that behind the player is actually uncluttered ... that 400 does great in the hands of a master : )

I have always enjoyed the candids that you are able to catch from such a distance

Jim

Nill Toulme

No, very few bursts with the 400D, it's not that quick. Mostly anticipate, follow and shoot, anticipate, follow and shoot, rinse and repeat. ;-)

The keeper is less than a 1/8 frame crop, shot from the far end of the field.

Asher I park the rig on a monopod (see this thread), and myself on a folding camp stool. So we're both weightless...

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

Jim Kenny

Nill you said

Mostly anticipate, follow and shoot, anticipate, follow and shoot, rinse and repeat. ;-)

I have found that I have been lifting off the shutter button and not getting using the burst feature as much as I was.

The exception to that is the games where the refs let the boys play and there is a lot of pulling, pushing and grabbing going on. Also when the attacker is moving fast in the direction of the goal and the defender has good position ... THEN i will hold the shutter and continue to shoot the collision and the carnage until the bodies stop flopping around.

as for the keeper ... 1/8 ... wow you really did get in tight on this compaired to what came out of the camera ... the little shadow dropping from the kids right corner of his mouth looks to me like he is bouncing his head on the ball ... I think this is ... but it doesnt count as "Ball Compression"

: )

Jim

Sid Jervis

pro member
Nill Toulme said:
No, very few bursts with the 400D, it's not that quick. Mostly anticipate, follow and shoot, anticipate, follow and shoot, rinse and repeat. ;-)

I understand what you mean by not that quick, if you are talking about fps.
However, drop a 100x CF card in a 400D, hold down the shutter button and it will capture about 47 jpeg frames before it pauses for a second. IMO a good piece of kit.

Thundercats on the Isle of Wight - UK

sjimg3157wdz7.jpg

Jim Kenny

Sid that shot rocks !

I have never seen the prop out of the water like that ! What lens did you have on the 400 ?

smart thinking of the guy in the right side of the boat to hold his arm out like that ... keep the other boat somewhat hidden from view : )

Never seen this kind of boat racing ... you were on a stationary boat as they raced around you ?

Jim