• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

RICOH GR firmware update 2.03

Doug Kerr

Hi, Paul,

I see now what the "47 mm crop mode" means.

It evidently means that the sensor image is "cropped" to give a field of view corresponding to that which would result from the use of a 47 mm focal length lens on a full-frame 35-mm film camera.

This is as contrasted with the basic "full-frame" mode of the GR, in which the field of view is that which would result from the use of a 28 mm focal length lens on a full-frame 35-mm film camera.

I would expect that in that mode, the highest available pixel layout of the output image is about 2700 px × 1945 px.

Very nice.

Best regards,

Doug

Paul Abbott

Hey Doug, sorry I missed your initial post.
I think this 47mm crop comes in at a 5 mega-pixel affair. It's caught me by surprise, I really didn't expect to see RICOH offering an option like this. I suppose it could come in handy at some point...

The sensor is cropped and it looks like the DOF of the 18.5mm lens remains constant too. The highest pixel layout is 2912 x 1936 offering a 5.5 mega-pixel image approx. I think.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

I think this 47mm crop comes in at a 5 mega-pixel affair. It's caught me by surprise, I really didn't expect to see RICOH offering an option like this. I suppose it could come in handy at some point...

The sensor is cropped and it looks like the DOF of the 18.5mm lens remains constant too. The highest pixel layout is 2912 x 1936 offering a 5.5 mega-pixel image approx. I think.

It makes sense in the situation where one only needs to capture what is in the center of the screen, but at the same perspective. In that case, one saves memory, (as long as only that section of the CMOS surface output is recorded).

Essentially, if one is not going to zoom with one's feet, then one is wasting storage space by keeping an entire frame! So for that, it's nifty................as long as one can assign it to a function button!

Asher

Paul Abbott

This is what I love about RICOH, they've made the camera that little bit more versatile I guess.
Imagine shooting with the 47mm crop in 1:1 format? Your looking at 2 or 3 mega-pixels approx., no? :)
I have my crop modes assigned to the 'Effect' button, it'll be a case of cycling through them now.

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

It makes sense in the situation where one only needs to capture what is in the center of the screen, but at the same perspective. In that case, one saves memory, (as long as only that section of the CMOS surface output is recorded).

Essentially, if one is not going to zoom with one's feet, then one is wasting storage space by keeping an entire frame! So for that, it's nifty................as long as one can assign it to a function button!
Yes, makes much sense.

Best regards,

Doug