• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Merry Christmas

Doug Kerr

Esteemed friends and colleagues,

Carla and I want to wish all of you a very Merry Christmas.

Doug

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I seconded it and my post is missing, like Santa getting stuck in the damn chimney again!

Anyway, I wish everyone happy and warm times with family and friends however you celebrate.

If you have an office party, watch out for the miseltoe and drive home safely!

Here in Los Angeles families are returning from a week of skiing with their kids before Christmas and New Year festivities.

Parking lots in malls and movie theaters are half empty still, as folk are traveling.

But last minute shopping means that only the malls can provide late gifts in time, so they will fill again with exhausted shoppers on a mission!

No snow and no rain. Skies are beautiful and we have golden leaves falling in the streets around our house.

Asher

Antonio Correia

Have a good Christmas night with many gifts in the morning at the end of your bed when you wake up.
Have also a good and nice 2019 with the best thing one can get: Health !
Cheers ! :)

i-zCG3j8z-XL.jpg

James Lemon

Merry Christmas and all the best to everyone and your family. Although not everyone may celebrate Christmas most do seem to acknowledge the celebration regardless of culture or religion. I run into awkward situations sometimes where folk from other religious backgrounds wish me a Merry Christmas!
I usually respond with a thank you and a Merry Christmas to you too and ask but gee I don't know if you celebrate Christmas? They respond by saying no worries and a smile and then I am on my way.

Doug Kerr

Hi, James,

I run into awkward situations sometimes where folk from other religious backgrounds wish me a Merry Christmas!

Why would that be awkward? Although the origin of the Christmas holiday (and still its core to Christians) is a religious holiday, it has (for better and worse) become (in many counties) an important "social" holiday well beyond its religious implications. Its signs and scenes are all about, often without a baby Jesus in sight.

And I hope all can enjoy it.

Happy Boxing Day.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I run into awkward situations sometimes where folk from other religious backgrounds wish me a Merry Christmas!

James, Antonio and Doug,

My essential learning is that a visit almost any congregation, (while the preacher or sermonizer is out), and you’ll get a warm welcome as most are imbibed with openness to the stranger, love, compassion, charity, modesty, respect for living creatures and the planet and devotion to the needy, aged and sick.

Read the detail of competing scriptures at your peril and be prepared to ignore logic and just invest in the miracle of “faith”! But right now, in this season, no one is actually referring to your faith!

In the celebration of Christmas, folk are mostly expert in the “Goodwill” side of things and it’s a wonderful family time of togetherness and recreation devoid of dogma, save perhaps by a sermon for churchgoers or midnight mass. Even then, most such services require no debate and merely the comfort that they are on a path of salvation. Again no harm to anyone!

Today, it’s mostly a lighthearted season of giving gifts and another “Thanksgiving Holiday”.

When I wish folk a “Happy Christmas” it’s with empathy for their chosen way of celebrating, be it veneration of a savior or cherishing more down to earth and less perfect family and neighbors.

I delight in any family that carries values, whether it’s in a sacred basket from scriptures or one devoid of holy figures.

As long as folk can cherish the children of strangers, I love them all!

It’s what people do to others and what’s in the heart that is important when I say “Merry Christmas”, not what books they own!

It’s not my business to question anyone’s faith, only their deeds. I have enough challenge in dealing with my own motivations, LOL!

Asher