• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Monday HS baseball w/300 2.8 IS

Jeff Mims

New to shooting baseball, and have had the 300 for about 7 months. I'm still learning to PP, so I'm still learning to do this. The last one I was already above 100 ISO...due to the game's late start. I finally packed up and left after the 4th inning. (no good light left)

78023243.jpg

78023245.jpg

78023244.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
New to shooting baseball, and have had the 300 for about 7 months. I'm still learning to PP, so I'm still learning to do this. The last one I was already above 100 ISO...due to the game's late start. I finally packed up and left after the 4th inning. (no good light left)

Hi Jeff,

The first picture is great. You have caught peak action. What do you mean by "still learning to PP"? Is "PP" short for pixel peeping or is it post-processing? Americans need to eat apple pie and acronymize everything!

By "above 100 ISO" I expect you meant above 1000 ISO? :)

Don't worry, you can go to `1600!

More if needed. If you got the "money shot" at 3200, then you're the hero!

A 1DIIN at 1600 is still pretty damn good and you can use Noise Ninja to clean it up if you need. Do it in the large picture in 16 BI and then reduce the size and your picture will be surpisingly good.

I haven't seen people shooting with flash for baseball, but maybe people do at night games?

Asher

Last edited:

Jeff Mims

Thanks Asher...

I did mean ISO 1000...not ISO 100. And PP refers to post processing. Thanks for looking and posting your comments.
It is most appreciated.