• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Film and Visual Memory vs. the LCD

doug anderson

When I shot only film, I would remember specific shots I had taken in a day, because when I took them, something inside me clicked along with the shutter. I would carry the visual memory around with me until I could get to the darkroom to find out if I'd shot what I'd remembered. Quite often, the shot was as I remembered it, give or take a few technical imperfections. I miss this experience now that I am shooting digital, because I can see the shot in the LCD immediately after. The alchemy of carrying around the image and then realizing it as it appears in the print was its own kind of pleasure. Also, the kind of seeing that took place when I found a particular shot trained me to see better.

For this reason, I think I will keep my film cameras, although I continue to shoot mostly digital. Does any else have this kind of nostalgia for the visual memory?

D

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
When I shot only film, I would remember specific shots I had taken in a day, because when I took them, something inside me clicked along with the shutter. I would carry the visual memory around with me until I could get to the darkroom to find out if I'd shot what I'd remembered. Quite often, the shot was as I remembered it, give or take a few technical imperfections. I miss this experience now that I am shooting digital, because I can see the shot in the LCD immediately after. The alchemy of carrying around the image and then realizing it as it appears in the print was its own kind of pleasure. Also, the kind of seeing that took place when I found a particular shot trained me to see better.

For this reason, I think I will keep my film cameras, although I continue to shoot mostly digital. Does any else have this kind of nostalgia for the visual memory?
Doug,

I think that's a novel explanation and strikes a cord. That's one extra idea explaining our lovesickness in not using film.

Asher

Gary Ayala

I had a completely different experience. Having access to unlimited film, I shot film similarily as I shoot digital ... with total abandonment. When I was shooting everyday, I seemed to had an eyeball in my shutter release finger.

With an SLR one never sees the actually recorded shot (as the flipped mirror removes the image from your sight). But when I got something exceptional, (at least exceptional for me), even though I couldn't see it ... my shutter release finger would get a sensation ... like a tick ... a small electrical impluse which said "Yeah!".

I no longer get that impluse ... I tell myself it is due to shooting less ... but deep down I think I am still waiting for the exceptional image.

Gary

Ian L. Sitren

pro member
I shoot film and digital about the same with a film mentality.

With digital once I get into the flow of things, checking the first images on the LCD, I go about shooting and not shooting and then looking at each frame. I am slow to shoot and seldom (unless the circumstances call for it) shoot digital any faster than film.

I did an editorial shoot yesterday and by choice I shot digital at one location, film at the other. Each was about the same amount of time shooting. I shot approximately 107 frames digital and 64 film. I also shot about 10 Polaroid. Thinking back at it, I am sorry I didn't shoot it all film.

What does make a huge difference for me is the viewfinder of medium format on the Mamiya 645AFDII. That is what really makes the images vivid and come to life for me. Even the full frame DSLR's leave me visually empty, just doing my job.

Ian L. Sitren

pro member
An Example

This is a film photo from the shoot I was describing in the prior post. This is just a roll scan which is kind of quick and dirty. On finals I have drum scans typically done at 50 mb. The drum scans are better color corrected, contrast, saturation, detail etc. But the roll scans are very workable. By the way this was Fuji Pro 160c medium format.

48ae327e16c21.jpg

Asher Kelman

Yes, a very flattering presence! I like that picture.

I too am impressed by the viewfinder of the MF camera. I like the Contax but that's no longer viable. I do expect they are still serviced well.

Your Mamiya investment is now strengthened by the link with Phase One. However, we do not know whether or not that's a tactical move by Phase One or it's their long term strategy. To me, at least, they could just as easily join the Hy6 platform or else go with Hasselblad. To me everything is still possible.

Back to your picture! I like its presence. Film used as you do is not expensive and can be charged to the client. This super size film stimulates me to rethink how I'm shooting; I believe I should be using my Bronica SQ! Then who knows what!

Asher

doug anderson

This is a film photo from the shoot I was describing in the prior post. This is just a roll scan which is kind of quick and dirty. On finals I have drum scans typically done at 50 mb. The drum scans are better color corrected, contrast, saturation, detail etc. But the roll scans are very workable. By the way this was Fuji Pro 160c medium format.

48ae327e16c21.jpg

Asher: She's just a little bit feral. I like her. I think your mojo was tuned in when you took that.

Ian L. Sitren

pro member
Drum Scan

Here is the 50 meg drum scan (res'd down for online use) of the earlier version I posted in this thread. You can certainly see the difference. But one thing I do notice is the difference in image appearance in different places where I upload the photo, despite it being prepped for online use and color profile. And finally it really does not even come close to what it looks like here across my Eizo display or on a 17x22 print. It does make me appreciate the more traditional display of photos... the print.

48b4c304a07d7.jpg

Asher Kelman

Here is the 50 meg drum scan (res'd down for online use) of the earlier version I posted in this thread. You can certainly see the difference. But one thing I do notice is the difference in image appearance in different places where I upload the photo, despite it being prepped for online use and color profile. And finally it really does not even come close to what it looks like here across my Eizo display or on a 17x22 print. It does make me appreciate the more traditional display of photos... the print.
Hi Ian,

This may be related to collapsing the scanned information into skinny sRGB files!

Asher