• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Street vendor

Cem_Usakligil

Before folks would get the impression (due to the recent threads) that all that is film is in B&W, here is one in color instead ;-).

I have been "scanning" some Fuji Velvia slides dating back from 1991. I came across the picture of this street vendor in the old part of Istanbul. I realize that the picture is not a good one but I really like the posture, face and focus of this vendor. I remember how he briskly strolled past by me and that I barely had the time to aim the camera and shoot. I don't know what he was selling, I presume nuts or something edible. What do you think?

f17423.jpg

Cheers,

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Cem,

There's just enough of unimportant importance going on behind him to set the scene. These three sets of actions in the b.g. provide the essential character of the place, but he is the one clearly with his mind fixed on his goal or maybe his worries too. I like you bring us back to Istanbul. Likely, this market has not changed and the same folk are there now.

Would you consider retouching the image to complete the wheels and a strip of cobble stones? I understand if you feel it's "wrong" for you, as you might respond "That was not how I shot it and that's that!" I, however, never feel limited by that as we are not newspaper reporters, just bringing to others a sense of truth of the place as we observed it in our mind's eye.

A delight!

Asher

Cem_Usakligil

Cem,

There's just enough of unimportant importance going on behind him to set the scene. These three sets of actions in the b.g. provide the essential character of the place, but he is the one clearly with his mind fixed on his goal or maybe his worries too. I like you bring us back to Istanbul. Likely, this market has not changed and the same folk are there now.

Would you consider retouching the image to complete the wheels and a strip of cobble stones? I understand if you feel it's "wrong" for you, as you might respond "That was not how I shot it and that's that!" I, however, never feel limited by that as we are not newspaper reporters, just bringing to others a sense of truth of the place as we observed it in our mind's eye.

A delight!

Asher
Hi Asher,

Thanks, I wouldn't mind retouching the image at all. But I do not have the illusion that it is much of an image to start with, also due to the reasons you've mentioned re. the background, so it would be kind of time wasted ;-). The reasons I like the image are due to the place and the context, in addition to the face and posture which I have already mentioned. And that it is a kind of documentary from 20 years ago and that it is in fact film ;-).

Cheers,

Mike Shimwell

Hi Cem

Just to say that I saw this and it made me smile - a good result. great filmic colour and a nice shot - must have been quick reactions and no tripod!

MIke

fahim mohammed

If Cem's intentions were photojournalism, leave it as it is. Conveys the sense of the time and place.
Love Velvia 50.

Regards.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Before folks would get the impression (due to the recent threads) that all that is film is in B&W, here is one in color instead ;-).

I have been "scanning" some Fuji Velvia slides dating back from 1991. I came across the picture of this street vendor in the old part of Istanbul. I realize that the picture is not a good one but I really like the posture, face and focus of this vendor. I remember how he briskly strolled past by me and that I barely had the time to aim the camera and shoot. I don't know what he was selling, I presume nuts or something edible. What do you think?

f17423.jpg

Cheers,

My concern about the wheels is trivial really and the picture is so strong that I'd be happy as it is. The picture is a good one in the posture and sense of the man that you have captured. Having returned to it, I'm embarrassed by my fussiness. It the "gestalt" of the picture that counts, not it's ability to withstand over-analysis of every edge. I was misled by my fussiness and am happy to disclose that as I now I realize I was wrong to give the impression that there was "some improvement" to be made. It "works" perfectly and that's the test of it!

Asher

Graham Harris

Cem,

I really like this image, not only for the colours but the sociological implications. The man wheeling the pram is different. He is wearing a cap, a pullover and on his feet are sandals rather than shoes. The money apron is around his waist. All suggesting, to me, a different class to the men in the background, who appear to be, more business and perhaps affluent.

As well as interpreting that ,

” he is the one clearly with his mind fixed on his goal or maybe his worries too”

it may be that he is keeping his eyes fixed to the front because he doesn’t fit in with the surrounds and wants to pass through as quickly as possible.

For me because this image has created so much conversation, it works.

Graham

Cem_Usakligil

My concern about the wheels is trivial really and the picture is so strong that I'd be happy as it is. The picture is a good one in the posture and sense of the man that you have captured. Having returned to it, I'm embarrassed by my fussiness. It the "gestalt" of the picture that counts, not it's ability to withstand over-analysis of every edge. I was misled by my fussiness and am happy to disclose that as I now I realize I was wrong to give the impression that there was "some improvement" to be made. It "works" perfectly and that's the test of it!..
Hi Asher,

No need to be embarrassed at all, as I did not interpret your valuable C&C as fussiness. We know you as a person who tries to provide the best possible C&C for our pictures and you have helped many of us here in OPF (including myself) to improve our photography a lot. That is something we should never forget, even when you are actually being fussy. ;-) Thanks for all you do for us!

Cheers,

Cem_Usakligil

Cem,

I really like this image, not only for the colours but the sociological implications. The man wheeling the pram is different. He is wearing a cap, a pullover and on his feet are sandals rather than shoes. The money apron is around his waist. All suggesting, to me, a different class to the men in the background, who appear to be, more business and perhaps affluent.

As well as interpreting that ,

” he is the one clearly with his mind fixed on his goal or maybe his worries too”

it may be that he is keeping his eyes fixed to the front because he doesn’t fit in with the surrounds and wants to pass through as quickly as possible.

For me because this image has created so much conversation, it works.

Graham
Hi Graham,

Thanks for your kind comments, appreciated. The man wheeling the pram is indeed less wealthy than the others in the background but not necessarily so much different so as to belong to a different class. He is keeping his eyes on the road as there are holes and stones to be avoided and it is a slope so he has to watch out ;-). But believe me, he fits right in this surrounding as he is a native of that area.

I really like the analysis you've come up with by looking at the picture and I think you have done very well considering the fact that you don't know the cultural backgrounds and the context. This should be an indication to all of us that we can see much more in a picture if we look carefully, but also a reminder that we should (if possible) avoid interpreting things based on our own cultural contexts. :)

Cheers,