• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Santa Barbara Armada

charlie chipman

PageImage-486589-2789658-santabarbaraarmada.jpg

Ive recently started shooting with an RZ67.
I may be blinded by using a new medium.

This is the Christmas morning sunrise.

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Charlie,

I almost bought a RB-RZ 67 some months ago, due to an overdose of nostalgia for shooting film again. I have then thought things through rationally and decided that it did not make any sense for me (please note that I am not generalizing).

I am glad to read that you have taken the step and I hope you will be very satisfied with it. Have fun and let us see your results occasionally. :)

BTW, what film was this and how did you develop it?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Ive recently started shooting with an RZ67. I may be blinded by using a new medium.

Charlie,

I am certain that few people can have the same approach to a scene using film v. digital. Just the impressive look of the RZ67 means a special respect by both subjects and the operator. The world really does slow down. This is, I believe a real phenomenon. So, likely as not, you will be making pictures that are quite distinguished by the cognitive and esthetic investment.

This is the Christmas morning sunrise.
PageImage-486589-2789658-santabarbaraarmada.jpg

Charlie Chipman: Santa Barbara Armada

Charlie,

This is payoff. I imagine Sir Frances Drake looking out to see the Spanish Armada, much more ominous, of course. Here it's tranquil but the title does give a cohesive sense of bother hood to the vessels at the skyline. What film?

Asher

Ron Morse

It does look like an armada laying just off shore.

You will, I believe, love the RZ 67 as you get used to it. It is one of my favorite cameras.

charlie chipman

Thanks for commenting.

Cem, I certainly understand why film is not for everyone these days. I got into medium format for some specific projects I am working on that require film to be used. Now that I am comfortable with the camera and the process I have started said projects.

Asher yes, things do slow down using this camera. Sometimes to the point where pictures are not even made.
Because of the slower pace and more drawn out process that goes along with this I sometimes wonder if I am becoming more attached to film pictures than digital pictures. I do not know that this is a good thing. After all it is the final picture that is most important, not the medium it was created with.

As for the film it is Tri-x 400 processed by a local lab with some dodge and burn in photoshop.

Mike Shimwell

Charlie

Very nice. I'm sure that you will enjoy the RZ and the film process. As Cem says, it doesn't work for everyone and requires an acceptance of lower volumes I suspect. That said, I think that the reality of editing 1,000 digital frames should give pause for thought too.

However, turning to your picture - first it's lovely. I suspewct that you're downsizing has amplified the amount of grain as I would not normally expect to see the grain from a 6 by 7 neg at this size. It doesn't detract of course, but a biggger print would likely appear much smoother.

I am very pleased by the way the masts and stays on the boats are drawn - like single, definite strokes with a piece of charcoal, or a very soft and slightly crumbly pencil. I find this intensely beautiful and they are set off by the light and water. All anchored of course, by the charcoal sketched waves and piece of dark beach bottom left.

I look forward to the projects that #require' film and hope you'll explain that comment as well.

Mike

charlie chipman

Mike, thank you for your comments.

Yes I really like the way the boats on the water turned out, your description of a charcoal drawing is fitting. I thought the same when I first saw the picture.
As for the grain I was a bit surprised at how much there was myself, pleasantly. The only thing I have to compare it to is Portra 160 (see below) and this being my first roll of Tri-x I figured it was the nature of the film.

As for the project that requires film comment, I am using slide film as the subject matter for other photographs. Pictures of pictures of sorts.
I suppose I could print digital to transparency but the quality would not be the same, nor would the experience.

Thanks again.

PageImage-486589-2840126-trixvportra.jpg