• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Homage: Our Own Pictures Inspired by a Work of Art Art that has gotten into my blood!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
The closest thing I could come to any influence was with this shot of my L'il Brother.

20110731_2734 by tom.dinning, on Flickr​

That alone would have been enough. I'd have been happy to meet your bro, even though he face is hidden. Maybe he has a stash of beer handy! Your second picture is iconic. It does indeed get seared into one's brain once one looks at it for more than a minute.

..... and Max Dupains 1938 shot of the little swimmer

Fgallery3-3

by tom.dinning, on Flickr

Tom,

Here, I am learning new material and it's interesting that a guy who went for factive work, (over the fictive fantasies of modern advertising), earned his keep supporting the merchandisers.

"The war affected Dupain and his photography, by creating in him a greater awareness of truth in documentary. In 1947, these feelings were reinforced when he read a book Grierson on Documentary which defined the need for photography without pretence. The catchcry was "the creative treatment of actuality". Dupain was keen to restart the studio with this new perspective and abandon what he called the "cosmetic lie of fashion photography or advertising illustration". Refusing to return to the "cosmetic lie" of advertising, Dupain said.
"Modern photography must do more than entertain, it must incite thought and by its clear statements of actuality, cultivate a sympathetic understanding of men and women and the life they live and create."
His documentary work of this period is exemplified in his photograph "Meat Queue". He used a more naturalistic style of photography, "capturing a moment of everyday interaction [rather than] attempting any social comment".[4]" Source Wikipedia

This is a fellow I could learn from myself. I hope to start getting to know his work. Thanks for the intro.

Asher

Chris Calohan

Funny how things repeat themselves, or in some existential way, uncovers itself to another. Last term, I challenged my students to do almost the same process as started here by Asher. As an example, I showed them Eggleston's Guide cover as a sample image and what I'd accomplished with his image...this is one of those oooohweeeeoooh moments for me..

(Mind you, this was within the first month of classes and in addition to learning to shoot either a 35mm Nikon FM2, a Nikon D40 or a DaVinci Pinhole, they were also learning to shoot in raw (digitally) process and print (film) and all had to learn Photoshop CS4.)

6746468873_3452a2cccf_o.jpg

Tom dinning

Registrant*

20110731_2734 by tom.dinning, on Flickr​

That alone would have been enough. I'd have been happy to meet your bro, even though he face is hidden. Maybe he has a stash of beer handy! Your second picture is iconic. It does indeed get seared into one's brain once one looks at it for more than a minute.

Fgallery3-3

by tom.dinning, on Flickr

Tom,

Here, I am learning new material and it's interesting that a guy who went for factive work, (over the fictive fantasies of modern advertising), earned his keep supporting the merchandisers.

"The war affected Dupain and his photography, by creating in him a greater awareness of truth in documentary. In 1947, these feelings were reinforced when he read a book Grierson on Documentary which defined the need for photography without pretence. The catchcry was "the creative treatment of actuality". Dupain was keen to restart the studio with this new perspective and abandon what he called the "cosmetic lie of fashion photography or advertising illustration". Refusing to return to the "cosmetic lie" of advertising, Dupain said.
"Modern photography must do more than entertain, it must incite thought and by its clear statements of actuality, cultivate a sympathetic understanding of men and women and the life they live and create."
His documentary work of this period is exemplified in his photograph "Meat Queue". He used a more naturalistic style of photography, "capturing a moment of everyday interaction [rather than] attempting any social comment".[4]" Source Wikipedia

This is a fellow I could learn from myself. I hope to start getting to know his work. Thanks for the intro.

Asher

Dupain was and still is one of my all time heroes, Asher. He was a great photographer when I was a young and easily influences man. The other photographers that fascinated me were the street photographers that took their place each day in the streets of Sydney and recorded the passing pedestrian traffic, handing the unsuspecting passer by with a smal card telling where the photo could be collected. Most used a speed graphic or rolleiflex and I doubt if anyone living in Sydney between 1930 and 1970 missed out on the pleasure of seeing their portrait posted in the photographers shop front.
The only record I have of my fathers brother is such a shot taken in 1943 on his way to the docks where he was to embark on a ship heading for the pacific.
He did come back by the way.
Tom

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Funny how things repeat themselves, or in some existential way, uncovers itself to another. Last term, I challenged my students to do almost the same process as started here by Asher. As an example, I showed them Eggleston's Guide cover as a sample image and what I'd accomplished with his image...this is one of those oooohweeeeoooh moments for me..

(Mind you, this was within the first month of classes and in addition to learning to shoot either a 35mm Nikon FM2, a Nikon D40 or a DaVinci Pinhole, they were also learning to shoot in raw (digitally) process and print (film) and all had to learn Photoshop CS4.)

6746468873_3452a2cccf_o.jpg

Chris,

Your contribution os so welcome! I'm interested in the responses you got back from your students with Eggleston's guide cover.

Asher

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Bloody Eggleston again. The man ruined it for kids with bikes.

_DSC2383 by tom.dinning, on Flickr​

Yes,

........... and Mozart did the same for composers but we manage! My grandson is ruined, he's 5 and doesn't ride a bike and hasn't even completed his first full length symphony! Need to start over, LOL!

Asher