• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Need help in selection.

fahim mohammed

Hello again.

My Mac Pro and my MacBook Pro have packed up..fried. It is the end for them.

I went in to the Apple shop here. I wanted a MacBook Pro with Retina screen, maxed out. They got back to me. 1 month to get it. USD 1000 more than stateside.

I do not want to invest in a new Mac Pro. But I need a powerful machine..laptop, with connection to my
monitor.

My use for this machine is limited to cs6/ Lightroom and filters.

Need recommendations please. I have somebody in the States right now, who can pick it up and bring it
back.

Thank you.

Jerome Marot

A month ago, I visited a photostudio. They work mainly in advertisement and product photography and have about 5-7 workstations used in parallel by their staff for photoshop retouching work. About two years ago, they bought macs pro. Today they are replacing them with macs mini. In their opinion, today's mac mini is as powerful as yesterday's mac pro and sufficient for their kind of work. As cameras they use Canons and Hasselblads with plenty of pixels.

It would thus seem that any recent mac you can buy is sufficient to run CS6 and lightroom today.

fahim mohammed

Asher, Jerome.

Thank you.

Asher, I do not understand what you are recommending.

Jerome, excellent suggestion that I have not investigated. It would be housebound..but so was my MAP.

I shall call my son tonight to get more details.

Best regards.

George Holroyd

Fahim,

If you are happy with the look and feel of Apple's operating system, you might be better served by sticking with a MAC. Unless you are also comfortable with Windows, you might find the difference a bit off-putting.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Asher, I do not understand what you are recommending.

Fahim,

I'm thinking, "hmmm, maybe I let go of my Macbook Pros and buy myself the latest with a retina display! I purchased my new Macbook Pro and a month later they came out with the new one, LOL! So I have two intel Macbook Pros, 17" and could sell one or both"!

Asher

fahim mohammed

George, thank you. I ' used ' to be comfortable with windows; nowadays ' windows ' are for fresh air and sunlight!! :)

Asher, Macs have been good with me!! The Pro was in repair and I guess they just want me to upgrade to a new machine. Too much cost and hassle to repair.

The MBP's display went bust suddenly. The repair center guy started laughing when I asked for repair!!

I shall stick with the Mac, as we are a mac household. And one of my sons is a Mac nerd!!

Kindest regards to you both.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Replacement of screens is routine here! They send you a box to mail it too them and you get it back in a few days!

Asher

Hey I haven't had the best experiences with Macs as well. They don't last as long as they should, especially when you paying so much for them. I would recommend trying a nice PC out. Anyway good luck with the search.
---------------------------------------------------
James
Best Computers For Photo Editing

fahim mohammed

I am sorry it took me so long to get back responding to this thread.

Thank you all for your considered suggestions.

I took delivery, some months ago, of an iMac fully loaded. It screams and is sufficient for my needs currently.

Once again, my thanks to all that responded.

Kind regards.