• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

First hike with A7RII

After almost a week working on my deck and not having time to take pictures with my new camera I finally got out on an overnight hike. I choose the Skyline Divide trail up near Mt. Baker in the North Cascades because it's a good bang for the buck - nice trail with only about 2500 ft. elevation gain to my camp. I brought my NEX-7 + Tamron 18-200mm and another tripod so I could shoot while the A7RII worked away on timelapses.

I still have a learning curve on using the time-lapse app. If you want to do any pan or zoom with the add on app you need to do it before filling the card otherwise there isn't enough room for the new movie. I normally don't chimp my pics much and didn't mess with that until I was about to hike out, by that time my card was pretty full (4 time lapses where I saved the RAWs).

I also noticed a bit of vignetting in just one corner of some shots taken with a new 55mm. At first I thought it was from the polarizer I was using, but now I think it may be related to using electronic shutter. More on that as I experiment.

20722763491_8719547ed4_b.jpg

Mt. Baker

20497695210_cd6a77e0f4_b.jpg

Star-scapes is why I went full frame

20685674715_6c88f4c28b_c.jpg

My favorite from the trip

20064720423_62cc8bdec2_c.jpg

HDR Sunrise

20112579413_2d4b0ae753_c.jpg

Mt. Baker Peeking through clouds (NEX-7)​

Conclusion - I have a lot to learn about the new camera. I still love my good ole NEX-7 and super-zoom lens. I might have to get the new version when it comes out for light weight travels (the lens mount on mine is getting seriously loose).

Last edited:

Doug Kerr

Hi, Jim,

All exquisite works. Thanks so much for sharing them with us.

Don't feel bad about your continued love for your "earlier" camera. The new one doesn't take anything away from it, or vice-versa!

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
After almost a week working on my deck and not having time to take pictures with my new camera I finally got out on an overnight hike. I choose the Skyline Divide trail up near Mt. Baker in the North Cascades because it's a good bang for the buck - nice trail with only about 2500 ft. elevation gain to my camp. I brought my NEX-7 + Tamron 18-200mm and another tripod so I could shoot while the A7RII worked away on timelapses.

I still have a learning curve on using the time-lapse app. If you want to do any pan or zoom with the add on app you need to do it before filling the card otherwise there isn't enough room for the new movie. I normally don't chimp my pics much and didn't mess with that until I was about to hike out, by that time my card was pretty full (4 time lapses where I saved the RAWs).

I also noticed a bit of vignetting in just one corner of some shots taken with a new 55mm. At first I thought it was from the polarizer I was using, but now I think it may be related to using electronic shutter. More on that as I experiment.

20722763491_8719547ed4_b.jpg

Mt. Baker

20497695210_cd6a77e0f4_b.jpg

Star-scapes is why I went full frame

20685674715_6c88f4c28b_c.jpg

My favorite from the trip

20064720423_62cc8bdec2_c.jpg

HDR Sunrise

20112579413_2d4b0ae753_c.jpg

Mt. Baker Peeking through clouds (NEX-7)​

Conclusion - I have a lot to learn about the new camera. I still love my good ole NEX-7 and super-zoom lens. I might have to get the new version when it comes out for light weight travels (the lens mount on mine is getting seriously loose).

Jim,

These are beautiful photographs. Congrats on you new camera. This is the one I'd have love to have been able to take to Europe, but it wasn't yet for sale. So have you discovered instances where you have rntered new territory using this instead of all previous cameras?

Asher

Asher, I haven't used it enough to make any pronouncements, but one of the big things is that in the past when I took what looked like a great shot on my NEX-7 I would often zoom in and shoot another set to later attempt a pano for higher res. so I could print large on my Epson 7900. Now I can skip those extra shots!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Asher, I haven't used it enough to make any pronouncements, but one of the big things is that in the past when I took what looked like a great shot on my NEX-7 I would often zoom in and shoot another set to later attempt a pano for higher res. so I could print large on my Epson 7900. Now I can skip those extra shots!

Well that's already progress. Now do you have fast lenses? If you do there will be a great benefit in low light AF!

Asher