• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

In Your Soup

Peter Dexter

This is a species of Tachinid fly. Couldn't tell you which one as there are over 8000. At the larval stage they are parasitic entering the bodies of other insects such as caterpillars and slowly consuming them. Interestingly, like the Hawk wasp larva and paralyzed tarantula they avoid the critical organs until the end so the host will last as long as possible. I wonder if Hollywood can come up with a scarier script.

Gardeners are quite fond of these flies as they get rid of many garden pests... like caterpillars

43943087364_356983c3b2_b.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
This is a species of Tachinid fly. Couldn't tell you which one as there are over 8000. At the larval stage they are parasitic entering the bodies of other insects such as caterpillars and slowly consuming them. Interestingly, like the Hawk wasp larva and paralyzed tarantula they avoid the critical organs until the end so the host will last as long as possible. I wonder if Hollywood can come up with a scarier script.

Gardeners are quite fond of these flies as they get rid of many garden pests... like caterpillars

43943087364_356983c3b2_b.jpg

Peter,

A fabulously clear image! What lens?

That’s so crafty to spare the essential organs until last. Behavior here is very specific and beneficial to to the parasitic flies life cycle! Nature can be so devious!

Reminds me of the fabulous parasites, Toxoplasma gondii that inhabits mice and caused them to seek out and track the odor of cat urine....until the cat gets to eat then and the parasite completes its life cycle in the required next host!

Asher

Peter Dexter

Yes Asher hand held. I've erased th original frame but the Sony a6000 with 24 1.8 allows me to crop way down and still retain detail.

Charlotte Thompson

Neat catch ! I hate those fly things in my kitchen with a passion! I will nail them every time. Up close like this they look even nastier. I do like their little toes though- I really have always loved macro work though have never tried it. Keep on really nice catch

Charlotte-