• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Photographer of Interest - Selected by Editor: From Bangladesh: Master and Servant

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
A series by photographer Jannatul Mawa on pairs living under the same rood but separated by circumstances, fortune, fate and rank.

Indian_women_072911798025.jpg

Source

I'm so impressed with this work. It shows how the camera not only let's in light, but can also shine a light on the human condition in a most powerful way.

Asher

Antonio Correia

An excellent work indeed...

She is a keen advocate for the rights of women.

The image you posted belongs to this series

Here is another one from the same set. Excellent, excellent. I like this ! :)

close-distance_02.jpg

Antonio Correia

I do like the concept.

"Traditionally housemaid (helping hand) work for just two meals a day and assist the middle-class women, both housewives and working women in Bangladesh. They don’t have fixed working-hour or salary. Such cheap labor is rare in the world, perhaps 15 dollars a month. Since domestic work is gendered, hence, housemaids are women. In the society, it is perceived that only women will perform the domestic work which also includes the middle class working women. This household activity is analogous for them although the ‘class’ creates a distance. Every day, maidservants take care of the bed and sofa with their hand but they are neither allowed to sit nor to sleep on them once. With their domestic roles, they are ‘close’ to the middle class women and ‘distant’ at the same time. My intention is to document them by creating a rear occasion of keeping a close distance."