Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > Digital Camera Discussion > New Pro-Class Compact GR Ricoh Experience(s)

New Pro-Class Compact GR Ricoh Experience(s) A forum where pro and amateurs can share and discuss their experience(s) with the Ricoh GR

Old December 19th, 2013, 01:15 PM
Administrator/Moderator

Default An image shot with a Ricoh GR published in Boat International

Double spreaded page, picture shot with a Ricoh GR, in Boat International, December 2013 issue.

Yes, the Ricoh GR’s image quality can make even difficult pictures (night shoot in the rain) with strong contrasts, good lights, accurate colors and … tack sharp!

Original

Published

I'm not responsible for the color drift !

Context:
Old December 19th, 2013, 01:28 PM

Great to see your pictures being published Nicolas.

flickr
website
Old December 19th, 2013, 01:53 PM
Administrator/Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cem_Usakligil View Post
Great to see your pictures being published Nicolas.
Thank you Cem.
As you know I have many images published in magazine worldwide almost every months, however what is interesting in this case is that the IQ of this image from the Ricoh GR was good enough to be accepted by the leading yachting magazine for a double page…
Old December 19th, 2013, 02:16 PM
pro member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolas Claris View Post
Thank you Cem.
As you know I have many images published in magazine worldwide almost every months, however what is interesting in this case is that the IQ of this image from the Ricoh GR was good enough to be accepted by the leading yachting magazine for a double page…
Hi Nicolas,

It's not just the camera ...
Congratulations!

Cheers,
Bart
Old December 19th, 2013, 10:39 PM
Administrator/Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart_van_der_Wolf View Post
Hi Nicolas,

It's not just the camera ...
Congratulations!

Cheers,
Bart
Thanks Bart
but a good IQ always helps!

@ My friend Cem: this month also, but shot with the 645D:

Old December 19th, 2013, 10:45 PM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Original

Published

Quote:
I'm not responsible for the color drift !

Nicolas,

This is superb and also fun. To be able to get publishable images from a pocketable and unobtrusive camera is a great advance. You have many years that you can add to that when you direct it to do its job so well!

I do not understand the white items in the published image. Is that a reflection of your restaurant napkin in the page spread, as I can't see these in the original.

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old December 20th, 2013, 01:19 AM
Administrator/Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post
I do not understand the white items in the published image. Is that a reflection of your restaurant napkin in the page spread, as I can't see these in the original.

Asher
Bonjour Asher

These are "artifacts" due to ceiling lights when i snapped the pages (user's fault!). In real they don't appear of course.

This simply shows that with a good affordable camera, one can have great IQ if the settings are good when shooting and minimize post-prod. I remember a recent discussion here in OPF about resolution that is not all, this image can contribute to the debate.
I'm quite sure this image would show well on a billboard (thanks to the viewing distance)…
Old December 20th, 2013, 01:45 AM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Quote:
Bonjour Asher

These are "artifacts" due to ceiling lights when i snapped the pages (user's fault!). In real they don't appear of course.
Well, Nicolas,

I thought it was reflection in the glossy printed page, but I had imagined Marine and you both were celebrating and were holding your whet table napkins to get more light to the magazine, LOL! Actually, it is a great addition to the original composition for an editorial. I must learn that trick!

Quote:
This simply shows that with a good affordable camera, one can have great IQ if the settings are good when shooting and minimize post-prod. I remember a recent discussion here in OPF about resolution that is not all, this image can contribute to the debate. I'm quite sure this image would show well on a billboard (thanks to the viewing distance)…
I carry this camera everywhere. I was thinking of also getting the Sony full frame fixed 50mm as a second small camera, but then they came out with the A7 which Cem bought everyone!

This is a great time, especially for those who really like to take cameras with them and not get weighed down so that it becomes a drag after several hours.

That's such an important factor. The Ricoh GR exemplifies the advantage of simplicity and quality rather than cameras that can do everything. We just zoom with our feet or else stitch two frames. And this camera is especially fantastic at bracketing 3 shots with one shutter press!

Still, we can take lots of shots that don't get anywhere. I'm so happy to see your picture in a double page spread as that vindicates my thoughts that it's a pro grade camera and substantiates Paul Abbot's impressions too.

Looking forward to more like this! Meanwhile get some winter pics!

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.