• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My First REAL Events are booked!

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Okay, I hung out my official shingle. I have the gear. I have insurance. I incorporated so my business is official. I've been shooting for 30 years - but the last 6 seriously. I have taken class after class. I have practiced and practiced. Done a fair amount of street portraits, business events, party affairs. I have a few more classes lined up in portrait, studio and event lighting I am taking. And more practice. Thinking of hiring a model to play a few roles so that I have more confidence in my ability.

And I have several outdoor and location portrait sessions booked;
I have a few product shoots booked (products for a website)
and I have a Wedding (a small 2nd time affair for a life time friend) late spring
and today a B'nai Mitzvah was booked for someone else I know - and they know while I've attended a number of them, I haven't shot one. But they do love what they have seen. And they want someone they know. That's in early December.

I've offered to assist at no charge and never had any takers. 50 year old women aren't highly sought after assistants. Although I have been included on some major photo productions as an observer - I have a client who does some heavy ad and commercial prodution work and a friend who is a creative director for a well know cosmetics company.

I am so excited about this. It's a big plunge. I have the business side together - actually, career wise, I spent 20 years as a banker and the last 15 in my own small business accounting/consulting role. I'm not ready to give that up. It pays for my lifestyle.

I guess I am totally enthusiastic and scared too. I am going to the sites ahead of time to check lighting; I am doing some pre event shots of the participants and working with the MC/DJ's for stagings. A teacher I've had says I am ready and is giving me a lot of encouragement.

Thanks for letting me share here. I've read all the posts here; It's a great start. Thanks, Asher for this forum to think aloud.

Cem_Usakligil

Great news Kathy! Many congratulations to you. May you be as successful and happy in your new enterprise as you are aiming to be, if not even more :).

Cheers,

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
In advance of the wedding and barmitzvas, Mazal Tov!

I wish you a lot of joy in getting this new phase of your life underway. Get Nikolai to help you if you need someone or else Brian Lowe. Both are excellent!

Asher

Will Thompson

Well Known Member
Congrats Kathy!

Go Go Go!

Take all the photo work you have time to do.

The more you do the easer it is and the better you get at it.

Don't forget when you get more work than You can do, it is time to rase your rates!

I shot My last Bar Mitzvah on Dec. 2nd, Oh what fun!

If You need any tactical advice feel free to PM Me.

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Thanks for

Thanks for the ideas, suggestions and encouraging words.

I did forget to mention that I am going to WPPI in Las Vegas so I get some more ideas. Anyone here going?

It's funny that I am starting a new business after already building one from scratch 15 years ago - and that one is still going.

Aaron Strasburg

John Harringtom

Wow, how exciting, starting a new business. While I'm not a professional I am an avid reader. I just finished John Harrington's book, Best Business Practices for Photographers, and I would definitely recommend it. The biz side is interesting but not terribly applicable for me, but the legal side is definitely useful. He also has a blog.

Congratulations!

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Thanks again!

Nik -

Thanks. BTW There is a Civil War reenactment this weekend at the Stagecoach Museum in Newbury Park from 10-3 both days.

Aaron -

Great information for me. Doing Accounting/QuickBooks consulting for small business for many years but when it's your own and you are venturing into new territory, it's a whole new ballgame! Where it's completely different is in the sales/marketing/pricing and branding arena.

But it's all thrilling and exciting most certainly. And at least I get a good write off for my gear!