• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Shooting Sister Wedding

Rob.Martin

My Wedding Present to her and the Groom (Mike).

I'm wrapping it all up in a book and then giving this to them post wedding of course.
there's something to be said to the thai way of taking all the wedding pictures before the day to show everyone at the party.. lol

It's a small informal, non church wedding. Any hints or examples of shots is always appreciated. I'm doing a lot of research so I get some awesome shots, and they get awesome memories.

It is of course complicated by the fact that i am the best man, adn Sao (my better half) is on the Bridal party, but between the two of us we'll be fine.

Cheers,

Rob

Don Lashier

> complicated by the fact that i am the best man

The only wedding I every shot was complicated by the fact that I was the groom. Went ok (handed the camera to my best friend during the actual ceremony), but after we got back inside for the reception it dawned on me that I didn't have a flash for my Leica. Quickly borrowed a Nikon flash from one of the guests - it fired fine and everything seemed ok but when I got the film back it was evident that something didn't sync right. I'm still living that one down and my wife pulls it out of her back pocket and slaps me with it whenever I go awry. Fortunately some of the guest's photos turned out fine, and we have awesome memories anyway and usually chuckle about the flash screw-up.

- DL

Daniel Harrison

pro member
oh my,
That second story was scary. I have never heard of someone shooting their own wedding... although I have thought about the possibility of doing my own :) - LOL Anyway, I hope you find another person to take some shot during the ceremony as well Rob, although you could get some very interesting ceremony shots while your up there ;-)

I assume you know what your doing and have assed the risk etc. I am also assuming that it is not a formal affair and the B&G aren't expecting much. If this is otherwise I would really consider getting another photog, or friend. I wouldn't want them not to have the memories that they might expect. Just thought I'd say that, although as I said above I am sure you have assesed all this.

Good luck, and I hope you find time to have fun at the wedding as well! :)

Daniel

Rob.Martin

he he

they are expecting good photos of course. I am using remote shooting for all photos I am in. I am not keen on letting people touch my stuff. I will lend it to photographer friends, but I draw a line at handing it to some relative.. hehe

I am sure it'll all work out OK. It's not a big formal wedding or I'd never agree.

Should be fun

thanks for the input everyone...

Rob (On route to NZ from Bangkok tomorrow)

Daniel Harrison said:
oh my,
That second story was scary. I have never heard of someone shooting their own wedding... although I have thought about the possibility of doing my own :) - LOL Anyway, I hope you find another person to take some shot during the ceremony as well Rob, although you could get some very interesting ceremony shots while your up there ;-)

I assume you know what your doing and have assed the risk etc. I am also assuming that it is not a formal affair and the B&G aren't expecting much. If this is otherwise I would really consider getting another photog, or friend. I wouldn't want them not to have the memories that they might expect. Just thought I'd say that, although as I said above I am sure you have assesed all this.

Good luck, and I hope you find time to have fun at the wedding as well! :)

Daniel

Rob.Martin

Wedding day

Scott B. Hughes said:
So Rob... how did the wedding go?

Well as usual, when I got there, they had changed all the plans. But they seem happy with the job we did. Some of the gear didn;t work as expected and I made a few 101 mistakes, but all is well.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Rob.Martin said:
Well as usual, when I got there, they had changed all the plans. But they seem happy with the job we did. Some of the gear didn;t work as expected and I made a few 101 mistakes, but all is well.
Congrats to you and the new brother in law!

I'm sure things went fine! It fun when the pictures are there to give your family!

However, let me stick my neck out and, for anyone else who wants to do this, my opinionated $0.02

1. Don't do your own wedding, not as bad as operating on yourself, but still!

2. Don't do favors! No that's not mean. Unless they are eating catfood, let them pay a photographer!

3. Don't shoot a wedding unless you have done it many times before and have a routine that knows about all the pitfalls of dark churches, rain, camera not working, flash broken etc. and you have met with them beforehand and really know you can deliver that memory.

4. The whole wedding is really a staged event to get pictures that the girl and her mother can look at. If you can't capture a dream for them, don't do it.

Asher

Last edited: