• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Alabama Hills with Storm, #5

Mike Spinak

pro member
Here's a shot I made in the Alabama Hills, a couple years ago.

3506515854_b625787ca8_o.jpg

The light during this storm was quite wonderful, with dark storm clouds in the near distance, and bright, harsh late-afternoon sunlight, where I stood. Combined with the geological formations in this landscape, it made for quite an ominous feel, and so I tried to capture this experience in this photo.

This was shot with a 1Ds Mark II camera and a 24-70 f/2.8 lens, set to 24mm. My exposure was 0.3 second, at f/22, at ISO 100.

This was a picture that I put aside for a long time, while I figured out how to process is, as desired. I wanted to make it black and white, and – well... I wanted to make it look as you see it here. I've recently been learning some more about post-processing, and learning how to use actions, so I could finally make this picture with the black and white treatment I wanted.

I hope you enjoy.

This is my favorite stop on the trek from Boise to L.A. I have many images from there...none to compare with yours.

Thanks for sharing.

janet Smith

pro member
This was a picture that I put aside for a long time, while I figured out how to process is, as desired. I wanted to make it black and white, and – well... I wanted to make it look as you see it here. I've recently been learning some more about post-processing, and learning how to use actions, so I could finally make this picture with the black and white treatment I wanted.

I hope you enjoy.

Hi Mike

Firstly I enjoy it very much, it's wonderful, you've managed to make the rocks come to life, which I know is difficult to do. This shot is of particular interest to me - I came back from the far north west of Scotland a couple of weeks ago with loads of shots with fantastic rock formations.... Having just taken delivery of my new Mac today I need to settle down in the next few days and do some serious work on the shots I came back with, can you expand on the way this shot has been processed?

Mike Spinak

pro member
Thank you, Winston. And, you're welcome.

Thank you, Janet.I would be happy to expand upon what I did, but I need to better understand it, myself, before I explain. I will get back to you, on this.

Mike Spinak

pro member
Hi, Janet.

First I applied an unsharp mask, with an amount of 20%, a radius of 20 pixels, and a threshold of 0%. Then I did a brightness/contrast adjustment, with a brightness of -7 and a contrast of +12. Then I used the history brush to selectively paint some detail back into the highlights which were now blown out, and back into the shadows which were now blocked up.

janet Smith

pro member
You're welcome. I look forward to seeing them

Thanks Mike, I'll post some as soon as I can, I'm still working my way through all the shots I came back with, but I'm getting on well with my new Mac, it's so fast in comparison to my poor old PC, I'm already wondering how I managed without it!