• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

An Odd Question

Zeeshan Ali

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and hope to be a regular contributor.

I am putting up an exhibition of my final thesis for Diploma in Photography at my school. The exhibition will be open to public for five days. I intend to send an invitation for the exhibition to several colleagues and people I know from my profession. I need an opinion on whether I should upload an online presentation of my thesis at my website and send the link of presentation along with the invitation or just send the invitation?

Would the online presentation help bring more people to the exhibition or limit the traffic? I think people who have exhibited their work will be able to provide suitable response to the question.

I look forward to the feedback.

Zee

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and hope to be a regular contributor.

I am putting up an exhibition of my final thesis for Diploma in Photography at my school. The exhibition will be open to public for five days. I intend to send an invitation for the exhibition to several colleagues and people I know from my profession. I need an opinion on whether I should upload an online presentation of my thesis at my website and send the link of presentation along with the invitation or just send the invitation?

Would the online presentation help bring more people to the exhibition or limit the traffic? I think people who have exhibited their work will be able to provide suitable response to the question.

I look forward to the feedback.

Zee

Zee,

Welcome to OPF! hope you'll share ideas and pictures here and make this community your home.

The work devoted to your thesis must have been a great effort. So I'd suggest putting it online as that allows folk to casually introduce themselves to your work in miniature. In a way it's like a teaser, enticing people to go visit the real prints and get an even stronger experience of your creativity. The only thing required is that the presentation online be simple as possible. So, yes, make a web-presence if you can and let's have a link here.

I'd love to hear about your studies and what this has entailed. How much has it changed you and your perspective on your chosen profession?

Asher

Zeeshan Ali

Hi Asher,

First of all a big Thank You for such an encouraging feedback. I can already feel that this forum is going to be my home for sharing ideas and contributing to useful discussions.

I actually was in the HR profession and have just recently left it completely to pursue photography. A bold decision which has been met with criticism as well as praise but I personally feel if there's will there's going to be a way. I'm 30.

My website is http://www.zaliphoto.com. Its a simple website I have created on wordpress platform but it does help me showcase my work. You can have a look and see if the outlook and pictures are well presented.

During the course of my Diploma, it became pretty much evident what photography meant to me and one of the projects I did as part of my photojournalism class really opened my eyes about what motivates me and how I see things differently. That project was awarded as the best amongst a class of 10. Its on my website under Fine Art/Personal Projects - A Carpenter's Workshop.

The final thesis became more of a personal quest; if I say an existentialist journey I wouldnt be wrong. It comprises of 25 photographs that hint at my state of being and the way I see the world around me. Its mainly abstract but exudes a kind of isolation I feel inside as a human being. The exhibition starts on May 14th.

Here are a few pictures from the thesis.

the-window.jpg

alien-face.jpg

the-curve.jpg

Let me know if I need to start a new thread to get critique on my website and also share the link to my presentation later.

Zee

Last edited by a moderator:

John Wolf

Hi Zee,

I would likely NOT publish the entire thesis portfolio to the web until after the show. I'd put an invitation on the web, with a sample or two, and leave it at that.

My concern is that folks would feel they've seen the show online and not attend physically.

I think the samples above are enticing enough to draw people in. I would certainly attend based on them. Very nice work.

John

Zeeshan Ali

Hi John,

Thanks for appreciating the pictures. I like your suggestion and in all practicality I think your suggestion is the way to go. Most people I am going to send this invitation to are C level executives I have built a rapport with during my HR career. Now most of them dont even know I have left my job to pursue photography so like Asher mentioned it would be a good introduction of my work to them. Knowing their schedules, it would be a blessing if 10% attend the final show. But there is a very good possibility that at least 40 - 50% of them will look at the online presentation and eventually 20% might decide to attend the show. The reason for sending them an invitation is also to solicit future assignments for their organizations. So even if they wont be able to visit they would have still seen the work I am capable of.

I think I'm going to take my chances with the online presentation. I really appreciate the diversity of opinion provided by Asher and yourself. I will provide the link to my presentation in a few days. Will keep you guys posted on how the exhibition goes.

Zee