• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

What photographers hear when showing their work

Alain Briot

pro member
Remarks-1.jpg

I actually overheard this gem of artistic cruelty at a young photographer's first exhibition:
"Wow, these are terrific. I'm really looking forward to seeing what you achieve with your second roll of film."

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Ha! good fun, thanks Alain I've already heard quite a lot of these already! but still more to come I guess…
Oh, BTW, "How many pictures do you shoot per day?"

Chris Calohan

The insult of insults. I was showing a bunch of functional ceramics at a show (teapots, cups, dinnerware sets, etc.). I had them set up on bricks from a salt kiln I'd disassembled that had lovely rich colors from the salt glazing. Also, as a backdrop, I had a large piece of copper wound through the backdrop that I'd left in the elements for about two weeks, then buffed in certain areas and taken to a paint shop and had clear coated.

A lady told me while she thought my pieces were lovely, she'd give me the price of all my wares but only wanted the bricks and copper plate. Hell, I was a starving college student so I took her up on the deal. It paid for a full semester.

eventually, I did sell most of my wares and at the end of the show, she showed up in her nice new truck and hauled away the rest.

Cem_Usakligil

The insult of insults. I was showing a bunch of functional ceramics at a show (teapots, cups, dinnerware sets, etc.). I had them set up on bricks from a salt kiln I'd disassembled that had lovely rich colors from the salt glazing. Also, as a backdrop, I had a large piece of copper wound through the backdrop that I'd left in the elements for about two weeks, then buffed in certain areas and taken to a paint shop and had clear coated.

A lady told me while she thought my pieces were lovely, she'd give me the price of all my wares but only wanted the bricks and copper plate. Hell, I was a starving college student so I took her up on the deal. It paid for a full semester.

eventually, I did sell most of my wares and at the end of the show, she showed up in her nice new truck and hauled away the rest.
I'm not so sure that this counts as an insult Chris. It looks like that you got lucky and sold all your merchandise eventually. :)

Chris Calohan

I always love the ones that say, "oh, you shoot digital. I guess if you shoot enough exposures you can eventually get a good shot."