• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

printing on aluminum companies?

Jason Blair

Has anyone here had a good experience with high quality aluminum printing companies? i.e. with no defects like chips or bubbles and so on.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Has anyone here had a good experience with high quality aluminum printing companies? i.e. with no defects like chips or bubbles and so on.

Hello Jason!

Greetings on your first post. What kind of photography do you do?

As to printing on aluminum, what print medium are you seeking, silver gelatin or else pigment ink? The former requires coating the metal and the latter is so straitforward - your paper print is mounted on the aluminum.

Asher

Antonio Correia

Does this type of work damages the prints ?

Do they last less as they are subjected to the chemicals from the glue ?

I do have 3 or 4 images using this solution. Indeed it is pratical.

I assume that it is not the best solution. Why don't you opt for something for reliable like baryta paper with pigmented inks for example ?

Jason Blair

Just to clarify, this was not meant as technical discussion or a DIY. Does anyone have feedback and experience with any of the myriad of companies that print on metal--without green hair, having to download cludgy software or disclaimers (chips and bubbles) that some have mentioned?

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Just to clarify, this was not meant as technical discussion or a DIY. Does anyone have feedback and experience with any of the myriad of companies that print on metal--without green hair, having to download cludgy software or disclaimers (chips and bubbles) that some have mentioned?
Laboratoire Dupon (http://www.centraldupon.com) does that to the perfection, but they are in Paris…
Where are you located?

Asher Kelman

Jason,

For most work there are just three approaches and two I know personally. First coat the aluminum with silver gelatin and then expose the material as a regular print and process accordingly. Or else print on a very good paper with archival pigment ink and have it mounted on aluminum. Each of these systems should give first class results. Other methods might very well be in vogue, but I do not have experience with them.

The third approach is to print directly on special aluminum sheets, with or without white ink as a substrate over the aluminum metal.

UV Flatbed inkjet printed directly to 1/8” Silver DiBond.
DiBond printing is done using a Fuji Accuity Flatbed printer. The inks dry instantly with high intensity UV light. Images can be printed with or without white ink. When printed without white ink the natural look of the silver or gold metal shows through and becomes the “white” of the image. Colors take on a magical metallic luminescence. White ink can even be used in selective areas resulting in captivating effects. DiBond prints have a multi-finish as there is the finish of the brushed metal and the more matte finish of the inks. (Note: the surface of DiBond is not as durable as dye infused aluminum. Source

Asher

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Jason,

For most work there are just three approaches and two I know personally. First coat the aluminum with silver gelatin and then expose the material as a regular print and process accordingly. Or else print on a very good paper with archival pigment ink and have it mounted on aluminum. Each of these systems should give first class results. Other methods might very well be in vogue, but I do not have experience with them.

The third approach is to print directly on special aluminum sheets, with or without white ink as a substrate over the aluminum metal.

UV Flatbed inkjet printed directly to 1/8” Silver DiBond.
DiBond printing is done using a Fuji Accuity Flatbed printer. The inks dry instantly with high intensity UV light. Images can be printed with or without white ink. When printed without white ink the natural look of the silver or gold metal shows through and becomes the “white” of the image. Colors take on a magical metallic luminescence. White ink can even be used in selective areas resulting in captivating effects. DiBond prints have a multi-finish as there is the finish of the brushed metal and the more matte finish of the inks. (Note: the surface of DiBond is not as durable as dye infused aluminum. Source

Asher

I tried method 2 and 3
Method 2 gives magnificent results
Method 3 is to avoid, much less clean (the Dibon surface is not as good support as the print paper)

Asher Kelman

To have any idea of many approaches to printing on Aluminum, everything done for you well, look here. They can print directly on aluminum or else print directly on photographic paper of inkjet paper and have that superior archival medium then fixed to aluminum for a sharp, modern look.

I personally happen to use Bowhaus Printers 8885 Venice Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA 90034
(310) 837-1200

They print on any archival museum quality paper and then mount it on Dibond at a cost of ~ $10 per square ft, including a final UV and print sealing coat. They print using 12 color Canon Pigment Ink Printers and the quality is first class. I assume that you want to print directly from the file with no corrections. I also sometimes use their exhibition print service, which allows for proofs and corrections as need be and then a master copy before printing. However, if you have already printed a portion of this on their canon printer with that paper and are satisfied, you can print your larger final print ant the simple "print direct" price.

I have never heard of a process printing on Aluminum giving bubbles and chips, but would love to know any process to avoid!!! That would be great if you might share the information.

I'd have no hesitation is recommending you to use Bowhaus and they will, if you desire, ship this anywhere for you. However, they mount on aluminum and do not print on it without the intervening museum quality paper.

Asher