• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Disused Railway Viaduct - Calder Valley, W. Yorkshire '16

Paul Abbott

viaduct_1_of_1_1280.jpg

Disused Railway Viaduct - Calder Valley, W. Yorkshire '16 - Paul Abbott

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Disused Railway Viaduct - Calder Valley, W. Yorkshire '16 - Paul Abbott

Paul,

This picture has a strong and engaging composition with a bold curve of the viaduct on the right and ample supporting verticals. Interestingly, there is a balancing half sphere, made up by the tree on the left and an equally important, but invisible vertical line in the trunk of the tree that our brains automatically add to the composition as we are certain it is there of the frame and so important.

Just a fussy detail: Was this taken as a B&W shot with built in camera settings? I wonder about areas of light great in the brick which show little variation in gray scale. Am I just seeing areas of varied illumination from the shadowing by the nearby trees?

Asher

Last edited:

Paul Abbott

Asher, the low-angled sunlight is filtering through from the right, directly through those midway arches. In the foreground archway it's just partially glancing through. What I find odd is the angle of bricks in this foreground arch, compared to the other arches.
This image has been converted from a colour one, I always prefer to convert a colour image for obvious reasons.

Regards...

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Asher, the low-angled sunlight is filtering through from the right, directly through those midway arches. In the foreground archway it's just partially glancing through. What I find odd is the angle of bricks in this foreground arch, compared to the other arches.
This image has been converted from a colour one, I always prefer to convert a colour image for obvious reasons.

Regards...

I guessed as much!

What is surprising, (and fabulous to me), is the balance given by just half the tree on the left. It does this obviously by its massivity, but also by our brain's facility for adding back the vertical of the tree trunk too, which is out of the frame to the left and far below the lower border of the frame!

I had never noticed that effect before!

Asher