• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Clifford's Tower - York, E. Yorkshire '16

Paul Abbott

clifford_stower_1_of_1_1280.jpg

Clifford's Tower - York, E. Yorkshire '16 - Paul Abbott

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Wow! This is a surprise, Paul. Of course, in itself it is an attention deserving picture. Well done.

First it's so handsome a defined as an architectural structure, but then the surrounding mound is a military planning puzzle to me, at least. Of course, I can't assess the distance of the beginning of the mound to the "fort", but it would seem that sappers from an attack force would be relatively well shielded from direct line of sight from the parapets on the top of the stone defensive walls.

So attacking fellow's could have a simple portable wooden roof to protect against incoming showers of arrows and start digging a tunnel into the base of the tower!

Could be that there are more such towers and the archers could adequately cross cover the hillsides.

Now you have me interested!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Wow! This is a surprise, Paul. Of course, in itself it is an attention deserving picture. Well done.

First it's so handsome a defined as an architectural structure, but then the surrounding mound is a military planning puzzle to me, at least. Of course, I can't assess the distance of the beginning of the mound to the "fort", but it would seem that sappers from an attack force would be relatively well shielded from direct line of sight from the parapets on the top of the stone defensive walls.

So attacking fellow's could have a simple portable wooden roof to protect against incoming showers of arrows and start digging a tunnel into the base of the tower!

Could be that there are more such towers and the archers could adequately cross cover the hillsides.

..............Now you have me interested! I went on a reading spree that has opened up history that my education omitted! A great start is found here This was part of a large and important York Castle that, in each century had a function varying from position of Royal power, garrison or rundown prison for common or political prisoners.

Asher

Paul Abbott

Thank you, Asher. Nice to see you did a little revision on this motte and bailey. As you found out there is a tremendous amount of history in York. Of course, the biggest attraction this city holds is the York Minster.

Here is an alternative viewpoint of York Minster, one where i'm playing with a sense of scale. :)

yorkminster_hotels_1_of_1_1024.jpg

York, E. Yorkshire '16 - Paul Abbott

Asher Kelman

Thank you, Asher. Nice to see you did a little revision on this motte and bailey. As you found out there is a tremendous amount of history in York. Of course, the biggest attraction this city holds is the York Minster.

Here is an alternative viewpoint of York Minster, one where i'm playing with a sense of scale. :)

yorkminster_hotels_1_of_1_1024.jpg

York, E. Yorkshire '16 - Paul Abbott

Superbly English and grand!

With the ever increasing cultural diversity in the country, the history become more of a treasure for the various folk to identify with, treasure and so bridge divides.

I experienced a wonderful surprise when lugging a suitcase up the stairs at Leicester Square tube station. A studiously cultured "Etonian" voice from behind me queried,

"Excuse me old chap, could I perhaps assist you with that awefully heavy valise?"

I turned to see a rather short, 3 piece suit-formally dressed banker type fellow with an obviously Pakistani or Indian face. I was so happy at the new "British" and have no reservations in my love for the place!

Asher