• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

The Mardi Gras Interpetation

Charlotte Thompson

I have a deep Creole background on both sides of my parents and as a child I was always surrounded by this deeply Southern Creole lifestyle- The portrait of me was done with light and shadow...the Mardi Gras mask...

DSC_0210.jpg

fahim mohammed

That explains the Southern hospitality!! I didn't know you were a Southern Belle either.

Which means I have to scan my films from New Orleans and Ayesha's Mardi Gras costume!!

As to the portrait, can stand a lot of interpretation. I am still thinking thru it!! Just got the eye.

Charlotte Thompson

Fahim

yup Southern through and through- Mardi Gras mask and party is about interpetation and fun-
some info on Mardri Gras

Mardi Gras (mär'dē grä), last day before the fasting season of Lent. It is the French name for Shrove Tuesday. Literally translated, the term means "fat Tuesday" and was so called because it represented the last opportunity for merrymaking and excessive indulgence in food and drink before the solemn season of fasting. In the cities of some Roman Catholic countries the custom of holding carnivals for Mardi Gras has continued since the Middle Ages. The carnivals, with spectacular parades, masked balls, mock ceremonials, and street dancing, usually last for a week or more before Mardi Gras itself. Some of the most celebrated are held in New Orleans, Rio de Janeiro, Nice, and Cologne.

Read more: http://www.answers.com/topic/mardi-gras#ixzz1HRI6oK12

fahim mohammed

Thanks for that info. New Orleans, know very well.

So where were you when I was down in Baton Rouge, LA. Alone. Bumming.Then in MS. Never did like the one up immediately to the North.

Settled in Galveston. Of course, you know where that is!!!

You take care Charlotte.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Charlotte,

The idea is splendid. You have a great responder in Fahim and no doubt many others who do not put it in writing.

This time, I have difficulty relating to the presentation of your image. It's so large on the page that even with the 24 inch iMac, I can't see it isolated, so can't get around it. Perhaps it needs a dark matte. However, it seems to cry out how it was made. It could be that such an image might be receptive, to me at least, if it had at least the texture of canvas and brush strokes of a painting, so one could see your hand in this. In the current showing, it seems that the emptiness overwhelms the celebration. Just my 0.02!

Asher

Charlotte Thompson

Fahim
I was on a private beach in Corpus- bumming with friends-

Asher

Mardi Gras is about costume- hidden agendas/mask interpetations- plain out fun my friend
but for me to paint this would be cool if only time permits- oh and Fahim and I go to the same parties-

here is a smaller version for you-

DSC_0210-1.jpg

fahim mohammed

Hi Charlotte.

' I was on a private beach in Corpus- bumming with friends- '

Ole Miss didn't allow overnight yobos during those times! And I wasn't pickin' cotton. A few God fearing confedrate folk considered me an unfamiliar varmin'. Not all though. Oh! No! Oh, s*t no!!

Visited a few summers the little garden NC/TN share. Much cheaper to bring a guest there.

Yep, wasted youth and the little money I had, but those were the days. And the South had Soul and friends who cooked for me. Treated me real proper they did, besides cook. Southern hospitality extreme.

Paraphrasing the man ' lady, I didn't give a damn '.

Then my ma said I needed a companion to share life with. Go figure.

fahim mohammed

Mighty kind of you ma'm. Mighty kind.

But them folk still don't allow vermin' to pitch their tents in front of them pretty white porches.
Yep, them pretty white porches, and them hammocks and the heavenly lemonade in summer
Some of them put some thing extra in that pitcher ma'm. Real Southern hospitality. I ain't complaining, mind you. Just remembering.

And Mary Lou tellin' her kin she goin' to church with me.

Charlotte Thompson

Fahim

ahaahaaa- let me tell you in Katy Texas (Cinco Ranch) we have every walk of people and embrace life as it is- I have many friends all over the world round these here parts
and besides that you would be safe with me-ya see I pack a nine and know how to use it-
you are so funny dear Fahim-

C-