• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Museum of Biodiversity

Ruben Alfu

Two views of the Museum of Biodiversity under construction in Panama City, Panama. Designed by Frank Gehry, in the style that has become a staple for this architect, to me this structure represents an allegory to the ostensible chaos inherent in life.

More info about this museum here:
http://www.biomuseopanama.org

_MG_1179_flat.jpg

Ruben Alfu : Museum of Biodiversity 1

_MG_1122.jpg

Ruben Alfu : Museum of Biodiversity 2

Thanks for looking!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Ruben,

These are remarkable. In the second picture, is this part of the finished structure? did you also manage interior or landscape setting shots

Asher

fahim mohammed

Hi Ruben,

I like the first image better for it perspective and the way it seems to want to reach for the clouds
above.

Having said that, I hate structures such as these. Imho, such designs are like cancerous growths on the surface of this world..

But, that is just my opinion. The architect is famous. So what do I know!

Regards.

Asher Kelman

_MG_1179_flat.jpg

Hi Ruben,

I like the first image better for it perspective and the way it seems to want to reach for the clouds
above.

Having said that, I hate structures such as these. Imho, such designs are like cancerous growths on the surface of this world..

Fahim,

Look at the corrugated sheets of metal in the roof, you know that. It would be revealing to glance through your travel pictures where folk use that material for the roofs of humble homes and that sheet of metal is one of their prized possessions! This architect often and typically uses a metaphor of the sails of ships. Here it's evolved and he's really reached out in a bold new way. This building, to me, at least, shows a dedication and respectful homage to the billions of folk who still struggle against the elements. The luxurious sensuous sails, (of all his major iconic works around the world), have become modest symbolic iron roofs, pointing in every direction. All the rest of the building structure is adapted to this coded form, paying great respect as they lean towards it.

Why not lets add pictures here that fit various ideas he's put together.

Asher

fahim mohammed

Fahim,

Look at the corrugated sheets of metal in the roof, you know that. It would be revealing to glance through your travel pictures where folk use that for the roofs of humble homes and that piece of metal is one of their prized possessions. This architect often uses a metaphor of the sails of ships, but here he's really reached out in a bold way.

Why not lets add pictures here that fit various ideas he's put together.

Asher

Asher, I do not want to take away from anything you said.

If I had the money and wanted a structure designed for some purpose, I would not chose this design. That's all I mean. Specially not where I had to see it everyday.

As to the humble homes and their roofs, it is mostly done as the best way those folk can to protect their homes from the elements. Best and economical. Famous architects and their designs
would, I wager, be unknown to them. Maybe they could care less.

Famous and successful does not necessarily translate to desirable for me. But that is just my personal opinion.

Regards.

Asher Kelman

Asher, I do not want to take away from anything you said.

If I had the money and wanted a structure designed for some purpose, I would not chose this design.

Sure, Fahim, I'd have my own priorities too, LOL! We could all make out lists!

This, however, is in itself remarkable, but more so it's an additional line in a series of architectural poetry that if one would see from around the word, one stands the risk of enjoying! It's not meant to represent what one person likes, but rather to stand beyond time, as a beacon for simple inspiring composition and openness to thought. All his works are like that.

This picture is the first I've seen of the Panama Museum of Diversity and of course it will not persuade or move the folk in shanti towns right now. However, I'm pretty sure it will inspire generations of visitors and if the museum holds up to its name, this sounds great.

It's just the container, Fahim! It's a statement, a message of hope put up to the sky. Nothing more, nothing less.

Asher

fahim mohammed

Asher, I am all for messages of ' hope '; in the sky or the ground.

But more so for ' actions ' to realize those ' hopes '.

Based on my experience, I am, however, a bit wary when ' other civilizations ' bring me ' messages ' or ' actions ' of ' hope '.

But I shall leave that discussion for another thread and/or another time.

Let's enjoy Ruben's beautiful image ( specially #1 ).

Regards.

Asher Kelman

Asher, I am all for messages of ' hope '; in the sky or the ground.

But more so for ' actions ' to realize those ' hopes '.

Based on my experience, I am, however, a bit wary when ' other civilizations ' bring me ' messages ' or ' actions ' of ' hope '.

But I shall leave that discussion for another thread and/or another time.

Let's enjoy Ruben's beautiful image ( specially #1 ).

Regards.

Fahim,

You're correct. Getting back to the Ruben's work! It doesn't show the interior exhibits. No doubt it's incomplete. Panamanians were thinking first of their own needs.

_MG_1179_flat.jpg

Still, the architecture of Gehry, in my opinion, brings in international ideas related to humanity, his creation is nevertheless a Panamanian project and addresses their ecological treasure: "Biodiversity".

"The museum is intended to showcase the geological importance of the Isthmus of Panama. The geological and natural treasures of Panama are referred to as 'The Bridge of Life'. The immense biodiversity contained in such a small piece of land connects in a magical way the Northern and Southern hemispheres. The story will be traced through the museum´s 8 display galleries split in two levels. The Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute has provided a wealth of scientific information which shall contribute to the displays. The Smithsonian has been in Panama since the beginning of the Canal construction but was formalized as the Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute in 1966 and currently has a marine investigation center on one of the islands on the Amador Causeway. Today the Smithsonian is one of the leading authorities on tropical flora and fauna in Latin America. "

http://www.panamaqmagazine.com/Biodiversitymuseum.html] Sources

Imagine if we learned from this!

Asher

fahim mohammed

Fahim,

I have no doubt that the Panamanians, as I myself were thinking first of their own Panamanian communities, for that's what needed to be addressed, not other peoples. However, for us, you and I, should we visit, we can think of more peoples that need actions.

This is a Panamanian project and the symbology primarily addresses their needs. It deals with Biodiversity.

"The museum is intended to showcase the geological importance of the Isthmus of Panama. The Smithsonian has been in Panama since the beginning of the Canal construction ...."

Imagine if we learned from this!

Asher

Not only the Smithsonian has been there but would appear they brought along all the US too!
Of course, to study the bio-diversity of Latin America.

Indeed, I too hope we learn from this.

Indeed.

Ruben Alfu

Ruben,

These are remarkable. In the second picture, is this part of the finished structure? did you also manage interior or landscape setting shots

Asher

Hi Asher,

Thanks very much, both photos were taken last year, all you see is construction work in progress, even the colored patches on the walls are just for reference. I'll post some more, including interiors, later.

Ruben

Ruben Alfu

Hi Ruben,

above.

Regards.

Thanks for looking and commenting Fahim. I'm not a fan of this style of architecture neither, and likewise, I "acknowledge my lack of knowledge" in the subject ;)

Ruben Alfu

Three more for the series, I hope you like them...

_MG_1156_flat.jpg

Ruben Alfu : Museum of Biodiversity 3

_MG_1173-2.jpg

Ruben Alfu : Museum of Biodiversity 4

_MG_1134_flat.jpg

Ruben Alfu : Museum of Biodiversity 5