• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

How to buy DSLR stuff (Cameras, lenses, etc)

Bob Keenan

I got serious about photography about 5 years ago. Messed around with it for 35 years prior. When I got into DSLR cameras all of a sudden I am paying some serious money for this stuff. It took me a few years to learn how to buy. That included figuring out what I really wanted, what could I afford, where to buy it and other questions like that. So I put a blog post together to share what I have learned. You can read it here:

http://www.bobkeenanphoto.com/how-buy-dslr-stuff/

The short version is buy used or refurbished Canon or Nikon Cameras and Lens. Sigma and Tamron are good as well. Think a lot about what you want. Read the reviews, talk to other photographers, rent one if you can. Then buy it at your local camera shop if they are competitive. If not use Ebay, B&H, Adorama, or Fred Miranda. There is a lot more detail in my blog. Let me know what you think.
--
Bob Keenan
http://www.bobkeenanphoto.com

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

The short version is buy used or refurbished Canon or Nikon Cameras and Lens. Sigma and Tamron are good as well. Think a lot about what you want. Read the reviews, talk to other photographers, rent one if you can. Then buy it at your local camera shop if they are competitive. If not use Ebay, B&H, Adorama, or Fred Miranda. There is a lot more detail in my blog. Let me know what you think.
--
Bob Keenan
http://www.bobkeenanphoto.com

Bob,

I like the idea of buying used, but especially buying from a local retailer, as they will often meet B&H prices and have days in which they pay the tax too. Keeping these local guys in business is good for everyone. My advice is to spend as little as possible in the beginning and to have a camera with just one lens to start. Frankly, a used digicam will do wonders if one can shoot in RAW. Otherwise a 2 year old Canon, Pentax, Olympus, Sony or Nikon entry level DSLR with a 50mm lens is all that's needed. KEH.com is likely the best place for used gear as even bargain cameras work fine! They are vey honest too!

Asher

Bob Keenan

KEH

I have read other recommendations on KEH. I have also looked at their site... but not recently. I will have to add that to my posting.

And you are totally right about getting the most basic camera first with a 50mm and then see where it goes from there.

I have read other recommendations on KEH. I have also looked at their site... but not recently. I will have to add that to my posting.

And you are totally right about getting the most basic camera first with a 50mm and then see where it goes from there.

Yes, I was going to say Keh also. I know someone who bought 2 lenses from them, and they were in amazing condition and a great price.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
BTW, for large format, I'd suggest Will Thompson here. He has a large store of cameras to start anyone off!

Asher