• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

New Mac Dual 64 BIT Dual Core Xenon 3GHZ Monster!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
http://www.apple.com/macpro/performance.html

"Shoot RAW?
Then you’ll want to focus your attention on the blazing fast, highly expandable Mac Pro. That’s because it addresses just about every need that might arise for digital photographers.

Two Dual-Core Intel Xeon processors — quad-performance in every system — deliver all the speed you need to display your large RAW files. Instantly and as large as screen real estate permits.
By upgrading to a high-performance graphics card, you can make the most out of such OpenGL accelerated applications as Aperture.
Four hard drive bays give you options. Stripe your drives in a RAID 0 to build an extra large volume of up to 2TB. Or pair two drives in a RAID 1 for redundant reliability and instant backups.
Work large. Thanks to built-in support for the 30-inch Apple Cinema HD Display, you can edit, compare, rate, organize, and adjust images full screen in Aperture. And because Mac Pro offers built-in support for two displays, you can compare multiple images at once to find your selects faster.
Integrated dual Gigabit Ethernet and high-speed I/O provide high-bandwidth and convenient connections to networks, printers, scanners, cameras, and storage devices."

Can't use previous PCI and PCI express cards.

What is the practical significance?

As far as cost is concerned I spec'd out one for PS with just 4GB Ram and 160GB hard drive (new ones are simple to add and I have plenty.

Two 3GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon
4GB (4 x 1GB)
160GB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s
NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT 256MB (single-link DVI/dual-link DVI)
1 x SuperDrive
Both Bluetooth 2.0+EDR and AirPort Extreme
Apple USB Modem
Apple Keyboard and Mighty Mouse - U.S. English
Mac OS X - U.S. English
AppleCare Protection Plan for Mac Pro/Power Mac (w/or w/o Display) - Auto-enroll

The price comes to $4701 plus *% tax but kidly enough, free shiipping.

Nice for Aperture fans, that should really be much faster as they are apparently designed for each other.

No speed tests yet for PS CS2! Can it use the 64 bit processors?

Asher

P.S. an extra note on Memory. This is the major cause in my experience of Kernel Panic!

So I am starting to favor apple memory. I'd rather have 4GB of trouble free RAM than 8GB of KP!

"Mac Pro uses 667MHz DDR2 fully buffered ECC memory, a new industry-standard memory technology that allows for more memory capacity, higher speeds, and better reliability. To take full advantage of the 256-bit wide memory architecture, four or more FB-DIMMs should be installed in Mac Pro."

Not that last point and don't just use 2 GB DIMMS!

Last edited:
Asher Kelman said:
That should speed up things. Did you see any figures?

No, I have just followed Adobe's statements regarding the 64-bit extension to the x86 ISA. If you have more than 4 GB of RAM you can use the OS'es disk caching rather PS'es which can speed things up if you have a lot of RAM (writes to RAM are orders of magnitude faster than writes to disk and the PS scratch disk writes straight to disk bypassing RAM).

As to Aperture, I know nothing as I use XP for my GUI and bash for my shell (bash works on nearly every OS out there).