• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

North American in 50Hz/220v world

I intend to travel from my North American home to various parts of the world the wall power requires plug adapters. I'm not especially concerned about voltage conversion since most of the chargers and power supplies accept 110/220 volts, 50/60 cycles. What do experienced travelers do to simultaneously plug in a laptop, a AA battery charger, a camera battery charger, adapter for an external drive, an adapter for an Epson P2000, etc.? The problem arises for me on board a ship, where there aren't a lot of power outlets to begin with and the cabin is shared with another photographer.

I've considered a power strip with North American outlets and a plug adapter, but I can't find a strip rated for 220 volts. I considered a foreign power strip and a bunch of plug adapters, but this sounds ugly, bulky, and somewhat unreliable.

I'd like to hear solutions.

Bob

Don Lashier

Rob Peterson said:
I've considered a power strip with North American outlets and a plug adapter, but I can't find a strip rated for 220 volts. I considered a foreign power strip and a bunch of plug adapters, but this sounds ugly, bulky, and somewhat unreliable.
Despite being rated for 110 volts I wouldn't forsee any problems using the powerstrip for 220. Any overload issue would be related to current, not voltage, and you should be well under the 15 amps or so typical of powerstrips. In any case there would still only be 110v on any leg (wire).

- DL

Hi,
I'm in the UK so have the 240 volts 50Hz and travel with a power strip. I've used American extensions with multiple sockets over here satisfactorily. The one thing I would suggest being careful with is the wire - many in the US are single insulated for the higher voltage double is a lot safer. If you can get one of the power strips that you can put a double insulated lead on it would be much safer.

Aaron Strasburg

Be careful that you get a power strip and not a surge protector. I'm not sure what the trip voltage for a surge protector would be (I suspect it depends on brand and quality), but it wouldn't surprise me at all if they don't become very unhappy with 220V.

Ray West

Not so common these days, most power supplies being 'switchers', but if you have transformer types - i.e. lumps of iron with copeer windings, then the usa ones, designed for 60Hz, will run very hot on 50Hz (or do you still call it 50 c/s).

Best wishes,

Ray