• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Samantha, A Portrait '13

Paul Abbott

This is my wife and partner, Sam.

I am posting this because I think that the GR is equally at home in taking some great environmental portraits with it's native 28mm, especially with what the wide aperture of f2.8 can produce. I think there is a nice amount of 'bokeh' in this scene.
Anyway, I don't see anyone posting environmental portraits with this camera online, sadly I feel that this camera is denigrated solely as a 'street' photographer's tool...

Samantha Jane - Coniston, Lake District '13 - Paul Abbott
RICOH GR - f2.8

Last edited:

Doug Kerr

Hi, Paul,

This is my wife and partner, Sam.
Great shot. Thanks.

I am posting this because I think that the GR is equally at home in taking some great environmental portraits with it's native 28mm, especially with what the wide aperture of f2.8 can produce. I think there is a nice amount of 'bokeh' in this scene.
Anyway, I don't see anyone posting environmental portraits with this camera online, sadly I feel that this camera is denigrated solely as a 'street' photographer's tool...
I'm not sure I sense that. Some of those who have recently called attention to the Ricoh GR here are currently in their "street photography" phases. so we see it in that context.

And of course it is better for that than, say, a Speed Graphic, owing to its being "less obtrusive". Ah, its that old "miniature photography" thing.

Best regards,

Doug

Paul Abbott

Hey Doug, I guess your right in saying it might be a phase. I can't argue with that...
Ricoh implied this camera as being a most powerful snapshot camera but I feel it's much more than that.
How did you see this camera when you were in the market for buying a new camera? Did it register in your eyes?

Regards...