• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Delete large clipboards before exiting CS3

This summer's buy was a blazing-fast Vista equipped computer (64-bit, 4GB RAM, high-end graphics card) for work with CS3. I love it but will relate a problem to prevent others from making a similar mistake.

Because I sometimes scan 6*12 images from 120 film at high resolution, the base file size can be around 700 MB, with really huge files after layers added in processing. After saving one huge file and with about 700 MB on the clipboard, I tried unsuccessfully to exit Photoshop. The error message was that the system couldn't export the clipboard, which with hindsight I guess was too big. Several such failures were followed by unsuccessful attempts to shut down the machine through Vista. It was well past midnight by then, so I pulled the plug from the socket.

Starting up the machine the next day was no problem, but Photoshop wouldn't open with repeated tries. So I uninstalled CS3 and reinstalled, but to no good effect. After talking with some people who know more about software than me but still getting nowhere, I contacted Microsoft who couldn't figure out how to help and blamed Adobe. The first Adobe technician was out of his depth; the second didn't know what to do either but was willing to try to help. In the end, many hours later, some corrupted files not removed by uninstalling CS3 were deleted, and reinstallation was successful.

So now I never exit Photoshop without purging the clipboard first. Clearly there should be no problem with the automatic export of small clipboards, but with big clipboards beware.