• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

On lenses and Lipsticks..

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Fahim,

This is one impressive optic. If one can have live view, then this could be a wonderful advantage, especially for shooting film where changing captured color and contrast after the fact is hard work. With digital, however, the superb contrast seen in this 55mm f 1.4 Zeiss Distagon might perhaps be approached by processing the RAW images in Capture One or other modern software.

I'm wondering how confident I'd be with a moving model to shoot with this lens manually at 1.4 compared to using my Canon 50mm 1.4 or 1.2L.

Still, looking at the accumulative costs of this lens and a new 5D Mark III body, I start to think of leaping over this class and going for the MF Pentax 40MP camera, following in Nicolas Claris' footsteps!

Asher

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
But this lens is only for mirror less cameras, isn't it ?

http://blogs.zeiss.com/photo/en/?p=2864

This is a different lens series and for APS-C sensors only. So this is for the Sony NEX 5 and 7 etc and their cousin in design, Fujifilm’s X-Pro 1,! They will be made of metal for the needed parts and the rest plastic to save weight. A different series would be made, eventually, for 4/3 mirrorless cameras. The new Zeis lens Fahim points us to us, Distagon T* 1,4/55 is on a higher heavenly plane. It's built for ultimate perfection with no corrections needed and for full frame cameras. It's a solidly made all metal lens barrel with 13 lens elements inside!

The advantage for this lens if for scientific work, copying artwork and stitching images where accuracy and contrast to the edges is so valuable.

Asher

I'm very interested to see what this new Distagon 1.4/55 can do once it becomes generally available. Up to now, the reference lens in this focal length has been the Coastal Optics UV-VIS-IR 60mm f/4.0 Macro, which is essentially perfect, not only in visible light, but beyond. If Zeiss has managed to achieve the same sort of performance (in visible light, of course) in a f/1.4 design, it would be mighty impressive indeed, even if this new lens is so massive.

Looking forward to the first real proper tests - I hope Lenstip.com gets their hands on one soon after it's released, for example.

Thanks for posting the link to this video, Fahim.

fahim mohammed

Hi there Dawid.

Hope you are keeping fine.
Glad you found the video interesting.

The price, though, made me gulp!!

Best regards.