• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Landscape or Gardens in Interesting Light. Stitched or scanned Pano

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
You might have shot this in film years ago or borrowed a 6x17 Fuji or even done this in 8x10. Maybe these are stitched from your modest digicam or come from overlapping 1DsIII images that held your breath. So dig up the images, restitch if needed. If you need help, ask!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Well? Who's going first? Fine! I'll kick it off!

We were in Tuscany and at dusk bats swooped out of their cave to scoop up water from the pool before going on there foraging trips. I have a proof of that as the girls were screaming and they couldn't see a thing and I had to just aim my camera in the direction of the splash.

Well those pics I'll share when I locate them. So we looked around and explored around the bat cave at sunset. We never did see them come out of what we had named their official home! Meanwhile I had gotten fixated on the Tuscany light. It is particularly golden, at least so it seems to me. This is the area above the cave.

Pano - img_3398 - 5722x2070 - SLIL - Blended Layeredited1400.jpg

© Asher Kelman Tuscany Twilight 2003 Canon S50 Pano Stitch APP 64 BIT Spline Stitch do not copy or download

I hope you like the rich golden glow everything is painted with. I wish we could bank it! I'd be rich there was such a lot!

Asher

Daniel Buck

here's a few 4x10" scans :) Each of these is 1/2 of a 8x10 masked off so I can get two 4x10's on each 8x10 sheet :) I may have shown the last one here before, I can't remember.

eagle_rock_03.jpg

eagle_rock_02.jpg

layered_hills_01.jpg

las_virgenes_01.jpg

Asher Kelman

here's a few 4x10" scans :) Each of these is 1/2 of a 8x10 masked off so I can get two 4x10's on each 8x10 sheet :) I may have shown the last one here before, I can't remember.

Great to see film! Allso smart not to have to get 4x10 sheets of film! I like that system. Do you have a split film holder?

las_virgenes_01.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I'm wondering if this picture could benefit from some curves to bring out the dimensionality of the rocks. The other pics are better flat at the layering is the most important compositional feature, not detail of form.

Asher

Cem_Usakligil

...Meanwhile I had gotten fixated on the Tuscany light. It is particularly golden, at least so it seems to me. This is the area above the cave.

I hope you like the rich golden glow everything is painted with. I wish we could bank it! I'd be rich there was such a lot!
Asher,

I love this picture, thanks for showing it. The light in Tuscany can do that indeed. Now I have to dig my films from Tuscany and see if anything worthy is in there ;-).

Cheers,

Valentin Arfire

Congratulations Asher,

I love your pictures and this one has even more magic in it.

Now I don't have to get there to check whether the stories of Italy light are true...

Somehow I was expecting from a Ektachrome Kodak something like this.
You continuously amaze me with your charming pictures

regards,

Asher Kelman

"Tuscany Long After the Harvest: Field with Straw Bales" S50 APP Stitched PANO

I love your pictures and this one has even more magic in it.

Now I don't have to get there to check whether the stories of Italy light are true...

Somehow I was expecting from a Ektachrome Kodak something like this.
You continuously amaze me with your charming pictures

regards,
Valentin,

I really appreciate your feedback. I like making pictures from inexpensive cameras, handheld. The task is to somehow get what's on one's mind to a form to share. With stitching, the humble digicam with it's great depth of focus can be simply marvelous!

Here's a panorama made using the shirt-pocket Canon Powershot S50

Pano_img_3909_Tuscany_Field_abandoned_bldng_Straw1400.jpg

Photo © Asher Kelman "Tuscany: Long After Harvest: Field with Staw Bales" Power Shot S50 Stitch in Autopano Pro.

This was next door to an old country home made from a long since functioning church. Next door, a farmer had already harvested grain from the fields with abandoned stone and brick buildings open to the elements. The woman we visited is a writer on American art who lectures in France and lives in Tuscany. This is the fate of writers who dare to come for just 3 month "to escape from the cities" and get wrapped in Tuscany magic light and cannot escape.

Asher

Daniel Buck

Great to see film! Allso smart not to have to get 4x10 sheets of film! I like that system. Do you have a split film holder?

I'm wondering if this picture could benefit from some curves to bring out the dimensionality of the rocks. The other pics are better flat at the layering is the most important compositional feature, not detail of form.

I'm using 8x10 holders, but with a cut darkslide 'masked' to 4x10. Yea, I could probably do some soft masking and bring out some contrast in the rocks :)

Cem_Usakligil

Valentin,

I really appreciate your feedback. I like making pictures from inexpensive cameras, handheld. The task is to somehow get what's on one's mind to a form to share. With stitching, the humble digicam with it's great depth of focus can be simply marvelous!

Here's a panorama made using the shirt-pocket Canon Powershot S50

Pano_img_3909_Tuscany_Field_abandoned_bldng_Straw1400.jpg

Photo © Asher Kelman "Tuscany: Long After Harvest: Field with Staw Bales" Power Shot S50 Stitch in Autopano Pro.

This was next door to an old country home made from a long since functioning church. Next door, a farmer had already harvested grain from the fields with abandoned stone and brick buildings open to the elements. The woman we visited is a writer on American art who lectures in France and lives in Tuscany. This is the fate of writers who dare to come for just 3 month "to escape from the cities" and get wrapped in Tuscany magic light and cannot escape.

Asher
Hi Asher,

This is simply marvellous. Such great scenes coming from such "insignificant" cameras. I do not pity any prisoners of Tuscany, they have only themselves to blame it for ;-)

Cheers,

Daniel Buck

came across these again today, stitched at 85/1.2 wide open, which makes the FOV look wide and the DOF very thin. Hard to get a scale reference here, but the path is wide enough for two people to walk side by side.

DOF_testing_03.jpg

DOF_testing_04.jpg

Asher Kelman

DOF_testing_04.jpg

This second picture works very well for me. Unlike the first photograph, the trees lining the path are sharply defined and the pathway is therefore clear. The path is an important element an d I wonder if it might be better darkened in the distance or else darker in the part near us. I like to see light being modulated where possible

I enjoy this photograph. I thought it was a LF film picture and only now do I realize that it's an 85mm stitch! good idea. I'm looking forward to meeting you and hopefully seeing you print this!

Asher

came across these again today, stitched at 85/1.2 wide open, which makes the FOV look wide and the DOF very thin. Hard to get a scale reference here, but the path is wide enough for two people to walk side by side.

Hi Daniel,

Well done. It's a good example of thinking outside of the box. We don't always need deep DOF with stitches, but we may need more pixels.

Bart

Daniel Buck

Here's another 4x10" scan, tri-x 320 in HC110, 450mm at probably f22 or so, don't remember exactly. It sat on my shelf for a while before I developed it and scanned it this week! hah!

I wish there would have been more clouds on the right hand side of the photo

decker_01.jpg

Peter Dexter

I may have posted this before, if so I apologize but with unusual light seems appropriate to the thread.

Valle Del Cauca

41700285260_16b913454c_b.jpg