• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

3 pictures

Jerome Marot

14031510825_403d8b4a38_b.jpg

14028305052_5cfba8e539_b.jpg

14028336421_c2276c53e3_b.jpg

Antonio Correia

Perhaps in a tryptic they would have more impact...

I like in them the way you have captured the scene. With the same speed and aspect.

Well done ! :)

Jerome Marot

Perhaps in a tryptic they would have more impact...

Actually, the prints were presented as a tryptic, but for the forum I thought that we don't have infinitely large screens and that they should be presented as a series or people would have to scroll left and right.

I like in them the way you have captured the scene. With the same speed and aspect.

Well done ! :)

Thank you!

Jerome Marot

This is quite interesting. I did not know about the photographs of Yi Wan-Gyo.

His technique is a bit different, however. He seems to use a very strong and coarse grain to reduce details. But, from your pictures, I understand that the prints of Yi Wan-Gyo were sometimes quite big. I wonder how the resulting effect was.

Personally, when I add grain as an effect, I tend to use a much finer grain on large prints than on small ones. I prefer a more subtle effect. So I am quite interested on the impression you had at this exhibition.

Wolfgang Plattner

This is quite interesting. I did not know about the photographs of Yi Wan-Gyo.

His technique is a bit different, however. He seems to use a very strong and coarse grain to reduce details. But, from your pictures, I understand that the prints of Yi Wan-Gyo were sometimes quite big. I wonder how the resulting effect was.

Personally, when I add grain as an effect, I tend to use a much finer grain on large prints than on small ones. I prefer a more subtle effect. So I am quite interested on the impression you had at this exhibition.

Yet I do not know how he makes his photos, I didn't find any information on the net ...
But what was overwhelming in this exhibition, was how one fell into his photos after a few seconds, minutes of watching them ... they are opening themselves in some very special way.

Jerome Marot

For me living near a US Armed forces cemetery, these pictures move me immediately with a rush of anguish, questionable but brave sacrifice and sense of deep tragic loss.

Thank you. This is exactly the kind of answer that is valuable to me.

The photographs do not picture a cemetery, but that is not important. What is important to me is the kind of feeling the pictures raise in the viewers. I am sorry that the feelings are so tragic in your case, other people talked about some kind of mysticism.

As a side note, I would like to remind you that I linked this thread in the one about planning pictures for output quality. These have been presented in A2 size (16"x 24"), but A1 would not be a problem (24"x 34").

Jerome Marot

Yet I do not know how he makes his photos, I didn't find any information on the net ...
But what was overwhelming in this exhibition, was how one fell into his photos after a few seconds, minutes of watching them ... they are opening themselves in some very special way.

Indeed they are quite interesting. I hope linking a few here is ok:

2009259835_X0LKQTlJ_B4EBC7A526B4EBB9AE.jpg

2009259835_cx6QZh0G_P-03.jpg

2009259835_89pHJYXO_B4EBC7A5.jpg

All images above from Yi Wan Gyo.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Thank you. This is exactly the kind of answer that is valuable to me.

Jerome,

The allowances you have made to us, your "followers",by the obscure title, 3 pictures, wipes out any possibility of otherwise priming our brains and so provided unlimited license to have freedom in our visceral reactions.

"A title like, "Skimming over the tops of fruit trees in a sea plane at Sternberg, South of Munich approaching the lake." or else "unrolled" scanned Better Light Scanned pictures of rotating industrial floor vacuum brushes.", for example, might divert the brain to another set of constraints. Perhaps memories of the repeat lines of graves and flags would still be somewhere, but, perhaps they'd be further back from immediate consciousness and retrieval.

What's especially important is that you have provided us with a gymnasium of the mind, what I'd call an "Exploratorium", where the angst and dreams we have can be exercised and reflected on. This is a generous form of art whereby intent is to allow others to bring "stuff" they carry beneath the surface to a work.

The photographs do not picture a cemetery, but that is not important. What is important to me is the kind of feeling the pictures raise in the viewers. I am sorry that the feelings are so tragic in your case, other people talked about some kind of mysticism.

I'm grateful, Jerome, for the opportunity to be faced with a tool for looking within my values. Too much art allows little room apart from the beauty, story or imagery that's too clearly formed.

Asher

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
As a side note, I would like to remind you that I linked this thread in the one about planning pictures for output quality. These have been presented in A2 size (16"x 24"), but A1 would not be a problem (24"x 34").

My comments on preparing for such images are in the thread, here.

Asher