• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Why Resolution Isn't everything!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Back to the bird theme like on the beginning at this thread:

Best regards,
Michael

Michael,

Interesting that you have a both a refined and disciplined appreciation of minimalistic and simple to flourishingly ambitious modern architecture ..............and yet you have feelings for the subtlety of wisps of nature and transience shown in these photographs here.

It reminds me of the structure of many hit screenplays. There's an external do or die issue and action and then a subplot of intense reflection and personal angst or challenge. It's the interplay between these two extremes that makes an otherwise dead by action packed film seem so insightful and important to us in socio-political and then emotion ways.

You seem to keep these two aspects separate except, I believe I remember a picture in a dark church, it could be, where a figure in the background has some sense of expressing feelings.

Anyway, here, we can really appreciate the value of symbols, gestures and suggestions that allow us to muse.

Bravo, this collection is very important to me and I will return often.

Asher

Asher Kelman

Hi Asher,

Thanks, are you referring to this one?l

Michael,

I was referring to exactly this fashion of creativity, (which I had actually missed until you pointed it out right now). Yes, you are, indeed, exploiting both aspects of your creativity and it works so well here................. But the person in the back I referred to I believe was on the right and it might have been in a train station. I had initially missed the figure, until you pointed me to it.

It's a privilege and personal benefit for me to experience, reflect on and study the styles of frequent photographers here. It's as if I get to know a person a little more, or at least a few remarkably expressive facets of their complex nature.

Asher

Asher Kelman

Today there was this mist in the late afternoon:

Best regards,
Michael

You've resisted the natural temptation many photographers have to bring out the crepuscular light lines coming through the overcast sky. The colors here are so subtle and may I say "French" as if painted after a train journey to the countryside.

I think that a gallery with your work could replace so many hours in psychotherapy and truckloads of Valium!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Asher,

Thanks.

This one is less soothing, but still within the spirit of the theme.

Best regards,
Michael

Michael,

The mood is more wild than wind in the hair, more like rain on one's windshield so one has to reevaluate what on earth one is doing.

It is "pensive interruptous", so to speak.

We need these moments more often, so we would re-evaluate what we do to ourselves and others!

Unfortunately we usually don't get it as a "call", just shelter and do what we always do!

I wonder whether or not anyone has created a therapy school that advocates experiencing such experiences so we can recalibrate the rulers by which we evaluate our goals paths and the worth of our actions to ourselves, others and the planet?

Asher

Last edited:
Michael,

The mood is more wild than wind in the hair, more like rain on average windshield so one has to reevaluate what on earth one is doing.

It is "pensive interruptous", so to speak.

We need these moments more often, so we would re-evaluate what we do to ourselves and others!

Unfortunately we usually don't get it as a "call", just shelter and do what we always do!

I wonder whether or not anyone has created a therapy school that advocates experiencing such experiences so we can recalibrate the rulers by which we evaluate our goals paths and the worth of our actions to ourselves, othersxand the planet?

Asher

Here's a relevant case, Asher. During her work as consultant for the provincial elder abuse prevention strategy, my wife (Lee) met an aboriginal elder who told her about his life change from a young, drunken, depressed, aggressive opiate addict to a responsible and respected leader of his community. Here's his tale.

When near his lowest, he asked the 'medicine man' of that community to arrange for professional help to pull him out from his pit of dispair. The medicine man scornfully told him that no professional could do anying wothwhile for someone like him. As a creature of the land, said the medicine man, you must go alone into the 'bush' (i.e., a forested wilderness area), learn to live off the land, and by doing so hope to reclaim your heritage enough to contribute positively toward your community. The young man protested he knew next to nothing about living off the land, that he was afraid not being able to live without booze and other drugs. The medicine man replied that's too bad, despite your fears, off you go. So off he went. He returned four months later a changed person.

I don't know how often such tough love was a prescription in that community or whether it would be as workable in other cultures. It made that boy a man. Cheers, Mike

Asher Kelman

@ Michael Stones - Thanks for the story! Your example is more brutal but it worked!

@ Michael Nagel - These pictures are all exceptional but the ones that show rain and blurring add a dimension of continuity of time and we feel that we are embedded in the scene more intimately!

Asher

Michael Nagel

Nicolas,

These two pictures are certainly good in their own right, but they do not fit in the context here.

C'est hors sujet - désolé.

Best regards
Michael

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Nicolas,

These two pictures are certainly good in their own right, but they do not fit in the context here.

C'est hors sujet - désolé.

Best regards
Michael

Michael
I don't use to be OT.
This post, sorry if my English was not good enough, is supposed to show that with a lot of resolution, one have the advantage of being able to crop largely. In other words to find another photo in the photo.

Il n'y a pas a être désolé !

Michael Nagel

Nicolas,

pour le dire franchement - bien que les photos sont très bonnes, elles tuent l'ambiance par rapport aux images postées avant et le titre du magazine aide encore moins. Je connais les avantages d'une bonne résolution - tu ne m'apprends rien là. Je trouve juste que >99% de photographes cherchent plutot la perfection technique avant tout en oubliant que c'est juste un aspect.

J'aime bien l'avis d'Ansel Adams a ce sujet:

"There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept"

Amicalement
Michael

Asher Kelman

We can use this to start a new thread on finding pictures within the picture with high resolution sensor cameras.

Is that OK?

Asher

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
We can use this to start a new thread on finding pictures within the picture with high resolution sensor cameras.

Is that OK?

Asher

No it is not.
I have deleted my post.
I cannot support this kind of censorship (no pun)
My post was perfectly fit in there, it was controversial and meaning that resolution may help and, of course if not everything, it may count.
Dot.
PS I did not know that an original poster could act as a moderator and claim someone (between the lines) to withdraw a post.

Michael Nagel

To put some things clear:

I did not ask to delete the post, but I maintain my opinion (I believe that I am entitled of having one) that there was a mismatch here.

It could also be considered as a lack of tact to post photos in a strongly diverging style in a thread that developed over some time to show the different variations of photography that does not focus on sharpness and detail.

It depends all from your point of view.

Best regards
Michael

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

Michael,

I struggle with this all the time and especially in conversations with strangers, I assume folk are open to broader ideas when they are not and everyone is upset! But perhaps one key to broadening a topic is correct timing.

I, myself like looking at the "suggestions and uncertainty" inherent in many images made by gestures, and scantily detailed images, as these force us to "fill in the blanks" from our vast intellectual resources of analogy, memory and imagination.

Nicolas, on the other hand has rewound your movie and asked, Michael, are you in fact correct in saying "resolution isn't everything". The thread had, indeed, developed in a focused way around the beauty of a certain vagueness, as then we are encouraged to complete the drawing.

I am not sure if I have it correct, but I imagine that, had Nicolas jumped in at post # 2 and declared that details were important, (as when one returns home, detail cannot be created, but one can always throw away unwanted detail purposely by careful and selective blurring), then he would have provided an interesting opposition to your celebration of having vagueries from the outset.

In my own experience, however, I have not found it satisfying to blur afterwards, although, technically, I can craft an image to appear as if taken OOF and with slow shutter speed.

My best work has been in following a person at a museum and taking photographs as we both moved. But it is difficult as the museum staff call this "harassment"!

Asher

Michael Nagel

A separate thread would help to develop the concept not only limited to picture-in-picture cropping, but also extended to surfaces, structures, any concept where the resolution is part of the concept.

This thread is about the deliberate concept to leave sharpness and detail out of the picture and to concentrate on the overall impression which can be otherwise dominated by color, motion, etc.

It would be interesting to see both concepts develop independently at their own pace and cross-referencing between these threads (like playing ball) could be used to compare concepts, juxtapose interpretations of the respective approaches.

So, can we now return to the O.P. Topic!

Certainly. Here is the picture that encouraged me to also pursue picture concepts that move away from sharpness and detail.

Best regards
Michael

Asher Kelman

Michael,

This picture gives us a sense of a mirage or the lighting at night over a sports field or stadium and is thus a view that asks for exploration.

Asher